My First Blue

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Spongiform, May 27, 2008.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spent took my kayak out on the Chickamauga lake for a 3 night stay on the island this weekend. I hadn't even planned to do any real fishing, mostly I alternated exploring and relaxing. I went out several times hugging the shore 'treasure hunting'. It's amazing what people lose and then it ends up along the shoreline out there. I kept finding fishing jugs washed up on shore and any that still had viable hooks/lines I collected and reused by my camp site. For bait I used dead fish from along the shore, bluegill, some sort of bait shad that I assume came from other fishermen and some worms I found under logs along the shore while hunting for firewood :-D

I guess I could call this a new sport - Scavenger fishing - only use what you can find out there.

I set up a couple of different size/color jugs with the different baits I scavenged and waited till one took off running and lo and behold my first blue!

Also, it's just damned amazing how much fishing stuff I found out there.

I was also on the lookout for critters. I had been warned to be wary of cottonmouths - but in the 3 weeks I've been paddling around out here I have not seen a single water snake. I did find 2 worm snakes on the island while poking around for firewood :tounge_out:. I can only assume that since this lake has so many large predatory animals. Bass, catfish, gar, muskie, eagles, hawks and such that the snakes probably would only be found in small feeder streams.

Attached Files:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Dang!!! Looks like ya got a good collection going there.:big_smile:

Congrats on the nice blue also:big_smile:

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Forgot to mention, I didn't have a scale but I did have a measuring tape handy. 31 or 32 inches. (36 and I could have applied for a TN trophy fish certificate! )

I'd guess somewhere in the 15-20 lb range.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Well at leastyou got alot of lures & bobbers to last ya a while!!!!!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that sounds like a cool trip! when we were kids around the tailraces and they would shut the dams off, we would walk around the rocks and pick up lures and good hooks. that turned into taking a roll of trash bags and picking up discarded line and other unusable trash. there used to be a bait shop at the parking lot on the texas side of the denison dam. after we limited out on stripers, we picked up so much trash we overfilled the dumpster by the bait shop. reps to you for taking the initiative on that island!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice Blue Catfish, and a nice haul of tackle.

7. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Dang you can open a Bass Pro Shop if you go out a couple more times!!:smile2: I have saw a lot of corks and lures at the lakes and rivers i fish but to get my boat into the places is kinda hard. Nice Blue and congrads on a great weekend!!

8. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's the benefit of a kayak, it can get right up on the shore. Just have to be careful of big waves on the shores. Couple times I was trying to unsnag a lure or reach a bobber and the waves from a yacht would slap me around :-D

A lot of the lures need to be cleaned/polished and need new hooks/rings but otherwise they may as well be new.

9. jeselder

jeselder New Member

State:
    illinois
    that sounds like a heck of a weekend, nice blue, and nice collection

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian congrats on your first blue cat. Good find on lures. I noticed in the pic that you found a shad colored manns deep 30+. This can be used to crank slowly for cats. Thanks for sharing.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good experience. Thanks for taking the time to clean up.

12. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on your first blue. Sounds like a good weekend! Good stuff man!

13. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Congrats on your first blue!