My first blue cat and PB

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TN-CATFISHER, Oct 26, 2007.

1. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Well I heard last night the full moon was supposed to be the closest it's ever been to earth in recorded history. I don't know if that was true or not, but it seemed like a good excuse to leave my chores behind and go catfishing.

I started about 2pm fishing behind the dam, around the locks, and about everywhere else with 500 yards of the dam, nothing. About 4pm these guys in a pontoon that I'd been watching race up to the dam and drift down over and over had there starter die on them and were at the mercy of the current with all the generators fired up. They drifted down and nearly slammed into that fishing pier. I took some time to help them out and get them back to the boat launch. They showed me some small channels and a striper they'd caught on chicken liver. The striper came as a surprise to me. Anyway, they gave me some of the liver and told me to try it. I went back to the dam and immediately caught to small channels, although they look almost like yellow bullheads with the small mouths, but they got the spots of a channel. I'm not really sure what they are. See the first attachment.

Anyway, I spent about another hour and a half without another nibble. I kept watching the skipjack jumping around me and thought, well what the heck I'll catch one of these and try it again, even though I'd never caught anything on skipjack. So I caught me one skipjack and cut'em up. At 8pm when that big full moon had just come up above the wall of the dam this big ole blue (second and third attachments) grabbed on and my reel started singing. He took me straight into a bunch of rocks and I thought he was history. Somehow I was able to unlodge him and he headed straight the other direction out into open water where I able to land him in about 5-7 minutes. As you can see, I brought this one home. He was my first blue, and I was out alone with no camera, so I think I'm entitled to this one :wink:

Oh yeah, 25.25lbs, 39.75".

Attached Files:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on your first and PB blue. Keep using those skip's and there will be a lot more blues and PB's in your future. Just gotta remember that camera lol.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    That's a nice blue. Thanks for the story and the pictures. Can't wait to see that moon tonight!

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Yeah, I was so busy telling the story I forgot to mention where I was. I was below Nickajack dam. Below the dam is a little vague :roll_eyes:

5. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    The channels are gorgeous! And congrats on the blue buddy. Skipjack is probably the best bait in the world for blues. Keep using it and you'll find out why pretty soon with the water cooling down.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Way to go jon. I told you they were in there and there are some bigger ones in there. Maybe one of these days here real soon we can scoot over there and catch us a load of them with the water cooling down now.

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice fish Jon. Congrats on the PB, and thanks for sharing. :cool2:

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice fish man, I have yet to fish that dam. Sounds like it might be a decent place to try.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jon congrats on your first and PB blue.Thanks for sharing your fishing trip with us. Listen to Willard he won't stir you wrong.

10. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Congrats!!!!Nice first blue!

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on your first blue can't wait to get mine. thanks for sharing the story with us

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Congrats on the blue Jon!!

13. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks fellas. That was my 5th or 6th trip down there. We tied into a good one on only one of those trips, but hadn't landed one yet and I was getting pretty discouraged. Maybe things will pick up now that the water is cooling as some of you suggested. The water temp was 70.5 throughout the entire area I fished that day. Down 5 degrees from a week sooner. Apparently the rain helped things.

14. TccaJack

TccaJack New Member

State:
    Illinois
    congradulations thanks for the story

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congratulations Jon. I hope that you get to top that one soon enough!:wink:

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Congratulations Jon, nice fish.

17. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    Great fish, you are off to a good start.....

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    congrats on the nice catch:big_smile: