My first black powder rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by splitshot, Jul 14, 2006.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I will be buying my first black powder next month. Any suggestions?

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    first I would suggest that you deside if this is for hunting or just fun, if for for hunting check your regulations and make sure you buy one that is legal to hunt with. the new inlines are impressive. I cannot offer any advise as to brand as there are alot of good ones out there.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I have a TC omega I LOVE IT i shot my first deer with it..

my dad has a TC encore.... what a nice rifle... he is shootin inside of a inch at 200 yards... witha leupold 3x9x40

BUT I WOULD CONSIDER TC's new PRO HUNTER.... that is a sharp ML and a multitude of other things.... i would buy one in a heart beat if i had money, it also picks up on the encores short commings... love that speed breach :beauty:

but if u got anyquestions just shoot me a PM

Jeff

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got my first black powder rifle this year also a 50 cal TC omega with a simmons scope its an awsome rifle and with the new technoloy its just like a regular rifle dont have to worry about the flint getting wet like the old time ones

5. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    I have a T/c Encore.I got it at a pawn shop it had a 45 cal. barrel on it.I love that gun.Man I'm telling you it feels so nice.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    TC Omega .50cal Thumbhole stock!

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i love the omega but im a lefty so no thumbholes for me :angry:

but seems like TC has really good rifles
    just a great gunmaker

really accurate i might add.... plus i dont know how many other rifles are like this but on tcs inlines(encore and Omega) u can use 150grain powder loads.. i stick with about 130 does great dad uses 150

cant go wrong with a TC IMHO

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    most situations 100 grains will even do it. Some people try to make it out to jsut be a tough guy.

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the info guys. I will be using it for deer hunting, and my main concern is for accuracy, and dependability. You have given me some ideas so ill go from there. Steve

10. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I currently have the .50 Cal ENCORE and love it. But I am going to tell you the secret is to pickup and feel as many of them as you can and pick the one that feels the sweatest and fits you the best. All muzzle loaders now don't kick much. check out how hard it is to get a cap in (that is why I like the break breech on the Encore.) And the weight for carrying for a long time. Best of luck and if I can help you in any way give me a yell.

Coyote 400.JPG

This boy meet up with my encore last season. Good luck

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I only have one and it has never been fired be me it's a Caywood from a kentucky gunmaker and was my grandfathers who by the way like myself is a Caywood.

12. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My brother shoot an Encore, while my nephew and I both use Omegas. Mine will put a 245 gr. Barnes XP right back in the same hole at 50 yds loaded with 100 gr. of 777 powder. It doesn't like the pellets at least with that round. It'll print sub 1" groups at 100. It also likes TC Shockwaves as well. You can't go wrong with one but I guess I'm predudiced when it comes to my smoke pole. I've dropped a deer with it every year since I got it. Swe-e-e-et!

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Lots of good info here!
    My wife got me a Knight 50cal inline.
    Good gun for the money for sure.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what is the difference in the 45 and the 50