My first bc reel for catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nralover, Feb 9, 2009.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Guys, I have started learning to use a baitcasting reel. I have a Abu Revo for my bass fishing, but I want a round reel for catfishing. I am leaning towards another Abu reel, but what do I need? I have heard that there are Chinese and Swedish varieties- can someone break all this down for me? Also, what is a good rod to go with- I want one that will stand up to the cats I find in the Mississippi river. Thanks in advance, NRA

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jay the abu in a 6000 or biger model is best i myself for the river would not go below a 6000 model and by all means go with the sweed brand not the chines rod a 8ft rod with heavy action is my prference

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    There are several good choices. I prefer the Abu 6500 C3's matched to a Catfish Safari Rod or Ugly Stik Tiger Rod.JMO

4. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jay,
    Welcome to another member of the BOC from Missouri. Dallas is telling it right , doin't go any smaller than a 6000, I doin't think that you need to go any bigger than a 7000. As for as rods go there are to many good ones for me to talk about. You don't have to spend $ 100.00 -$ 200.00 to get a rod good enough to pull in a good size catfish. Some of the sponcers of the BOC sell some real good rods, look around and you should find ther Webs. Good Luck

5. Welcome to the B.O.C.
    I agree. A reel from the Abu at about the 6000's or above would be real nice on an Catfish Safari rod.

sTRICTLY Catfish

6. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    How about that camoflauge Abu? I like the looks of that reel alot!

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to Boc Jay, that would be a good choice. You'll pay a little more for the camoflauge.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    What is your price range? Here is the setup I would go with. The rod is cheap but they are great rods! I have seen these rods land fish over 65 pounds. And the reel cast a country mile!

The rod is a 6'6'' Shakespeare Sturdy Stik Heavy Action. 28.00 bucks
    The reel I would put on it is an Abu Garcia 6501CS Pro Rocket 115 bucks.

I LOVE that reel, it's my favorite reel I've ever used.

Both can be found on ..................com

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    What is your price range? Here is the setup I would go with. The rod is cheap but they are great rods! I have seen these rods land fish over 65 pounds. And the reel cast a country mile!

The rod is a 6'6'' Shakespeare Sturdy Stik Heavy Action. 28.00 bucks
    The reel I would put on it is an Abu Garcia 6501CS Pro Rocket 115 bucks.

I LOVE that reel, it's my favorite reel I've ever used.

Both can be found on Catfish Connection

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you're huntin' big ones, I'd recommend an Abu Garcia 7000 series,, and whatever med/hvy rod you like,, I'm partial to 1 pc 7' rods, but, it's a real subjective thing,,,,

You can get the 6500's and most new ones of quality will have the carbon matrix drag's,
    I've converted all the 7000's I use to carbon matrix, and I really like using those,, they seem to have louder clickers that work a bit better with my ears!!!

11. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    That is within my price range. Perhaps I'll go to the store and check that out:)

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am using the Abu 6500 C4's and i like them alot. i have them on BPS Cat Maxx rods in the 7ft 9in Med-Heavy action and I have never had any problems landing cats on them. they are well worth it. plus the rods arent very expensive. i think they are around 60 bucks a piece. the reels are around 100 bucks also.

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Use the Revo...the cats will never know.:smile2:

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No one has suggested a Penn reel 209 or 309,,, Why is that???

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    lol well uncle jim he ask about abu thats the main reasen lol:wink:

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would suggest the 6500. Do some research as to which model you like. They come with different retrieve ratios, and I'm thinking of going to the high retrieve version myself. The 6500 is a good size that fits in the hand good of most people. If I was fishing the MISSISSPPI I would probably opt out for a 7000i . Either one will be a good reel for the purpose.

17. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Check out the deals on Penn reels on Ebay. 209's, 309's, Jigmasters, even Squidders going for south of $50.00. I can't see spending 115.00 for an Abu when these reels can be had for a third the cost.

If your heart is set on Abu, that's fine. Hopwever, the Penn reel offers an incredibly stout reel for a very reasonable cost. They are easy to work on and maintain as well.