My first baitcaster....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by harper81, Oct 17, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    As some of you may have seen below I asked about the Abu 6600CB which is exclusive to Cabela's. Well I was at Walmart today and seen an ABU 6600BCX for $60 which is a few dollars less then the Cabela's reel. So I decided to get it. I don't know what all the letters mean, but I figured it is an Abu and it is a 6600 so how bad can it be? Still looking for a rod for it since Walmart had pretty much noting but a Berkley Big Game which I don't like, but can't wait to start practicing my casting with it. I would order a rod online, but I am hoping to use this by Friday so the local search is on.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Try to get a 9' or longer rod if you are bank fishing. :wink:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice Bill, I hope you enjoy your new reel. I've been looking around also. It wont be until after the holidays till I can get one but I'm doing a lot of researching until then. G'luck and I hope ya get a biggin with it.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My first baitcaster is still sitting in the trunk of my car in a bag... I am scared of that thing..............:cry: Congrats on your new gear though.....

5. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    abus are great reels. the walmart here has the ugly stik catfish poles for $30. they are only rated to 30# though. now ou have to get a rod and break it in proper.

6. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    My Walmart has the Ugly Stik's too, but all they had was spinning rod's. I am looking to get something in the 9ft. area, but I will settle for an 8ft. if I can't find anything.

7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    LOL @ Angel. I'm afraid to spend all that money and not like it. I have never, ever, ever once used one. Do they cast futher than the spinning reels ?

8. easttexcowboy55

easttexcowboy55 New Member

Has anyone tried Worn Glo?:roll_eyes:

9. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ah.......................... what?

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I purchased mine for only $40. I will practice with it one day. The only time I have used a baitcasting reel was on boats when going deep sea fishing. Lets say I p'eed of the shipmate the last time i went. I birdnested so bad that he had to give me another reel&rod.:angry: But the second one i started to get the hang of it and didnt birdnest/backlash for the rest of the trip. The say baitcasters cast further than spinning outfits once you get the hang of it... Maybe we should have a shoot off.......

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I was also wondering if a 1/2 filled spool would cast just as far as a full spool would ? You know how it is with spinning gear...the fuller it is the further you can cast. =Thanks for the answers-

12. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i usually get better distance with a full spool myself

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    id get 8-9 foot rod for bank fishing, go with an ugly stik, they make good rods, but if your lookin for a cheep one near buy you, type in ______ craigslist under google, (ex. Dallas Craigslist) so type in what ever big city your close to, and it will have a bunch of advertisements, its like an ebay except you dont have to buy, its a great sight, i bought some rods and reels and my boat form craigslist

14. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There is an ever running debate on what cast's further spinning or conventional... there has never been an answer and never will.. conventional reel's have the potential to cast further as a general rule, which is why all the more serious distance casting "pro's" use conventional's. However they are highly modified reels, and if you ask those guy's how their reel fishes.. they'll tell you it's a "tournament only" reel and they fish with a more run of the mill reel.
    The only thing that matters is what you feel comfortable with and what you can cast well with. And then there is that question of how far do you really need to cast?
    Of course matching up the right rod/reel/line/casting weight will make a ton of difference as well.

As for the spool fill question, a properly filled and well balanced spool will cast considerably farther than a half empty one.
    There are a lot of reasons for this but from a basic perspective, the larger the diameter of the underlying spool.. the more line that comes off per-revolution. Which is why you see a lot of large arbor spools in bass reels now days.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the input Crucial.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i wont lie im po_r for 9' rods i use a king kat or a whuppin stick witch seem to match a 6000 size reel well.

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i personally cast farther w/my spinning reels & my stepson who is 16 casts alot further w/the baitcasters which are 6000's

18. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Congrats on your purchase of your first baitcaster. The Garcia reels are by far above and beyong the others, in my opinion. An Ugly stick rod would go great with the Garcia reel. Get that combo set up and go catch a biggin.:big_smile:

19. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Advice plz....... Since I've been using spinning reels for over 30yrs should I even bother switching to a baitcaster? The one thing I like is that the baitcasters have the clickers. I like the idea of being able to leave the pole alone for a few if I need to. With the spinning gear all I can do is sit there and wait for the load ups.

20. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    i remember my first baitcaster...... i had it for a week and a half and then threw it in the garbage. no one i fished with had one so i tried to learn on my own and it did not work. more than a decade later i bought another one and even though the people i fish with use spinning setups, i received some friendly help from the fishing shop and slowly started casting farther and farther and farther and farther.

there is so much control with a baitcaster. so much feel and power. i never use spinning setups anymore. baitcasters however are not very good with lighter weights. as a matter of fact they are no good at all. if you are throwing a worm for cats or a piece of corn for carp, you won't get very far with a baitcaster.

baitcasters teach you how to be smooth. if you are not smooth you will birds nest. with smoothness distance is increased.

with distance comes new opportunities. when bank fishing you can hit river pockets you may not have been able to fish before. if you are fortunate to live by the sea you can surfcast and hook onto a monster or a tasty dinner.

baitcasters do not necessarily cast farther than spinning outfits but after i learned they just feel right to me.

the trick is to setup well for your lure. everytime you switch lures or baits you need to adjust the reel accordingly. failure to do so and you are likely to birdsnest. then be smooth and use fluid motions.
    regards, m.a.d.