My First Baitcaster fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Skunk Master, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Ok here goes guys.. I bought a Abu 6000... I don't have any problems casting.. ( no birdsnests).. My problem is when i adjust drag tighter it also adjusts clicker tension so its harder for fish to pull out line.. Is this normal or did i get a lemon???:crying:

2. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    harold,your star drag should not have nothing to do with the free spool,there is a spool tensioner on the side this is what controls how easy your line comes out,once you set it you generally dont have to mess with it unless you start having problems.sometimes if current is running hard you can tighten it up a little to keep clicker from steady clicking,hope this helps,bobby

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Harold,

After you cast, DO not turn the handle to take it out of freespool, just engage the baitclicker.

It goes something like this:

Set the spool tension.

Put the reel in freespool with tension on the reel spool with your thumb.

Cast, and control the spool speed with your thumb to prevent snarls. Don't cast with the clicker engaged.

After your terminal tackle is on the bottom, set the baitclicker and put your rod in a sturdy holder.

After you get a bite, turn the crank to disengage the freespool, hook the fish, turn off the clicker, reel him in, take a weight and a picture so we can see :)

Toss em back or eat em, depending on your needs and wants.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Thanks guys.. I went out again today and used less weight so i backed off tension.. Reel works the way its supposed to know..i'm learnin:crying:

5. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wait till you hear that clicker scream when a nice cat takes the bait, makes all the practice worthwhile :)

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Harold,
    the more you use your new baitcaster the more you will like it. After a while, you will never go back to anything else.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I've used it 3 times out now.. One of these days i might even get a bite on it.. I told the wife she could have my closed face setup.. i'm gonna pick up another baitcaster.. Might spend a little more and see if i can get one that casts further..:crying:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My experience is that generally the only thing wrong with an abu is the person using it. Abu manufactures excellent reels. And, when something does finally go wrong, you can send it to the factory and for a small fee they will recondition the reel. Pawls are about the only thing which really wears out, and if you lubricate them as you should, they will go for years. Think they cost less than $3.00, so you may just want to buy one and keep in your fishing gear. For what it's worth, when they do go out, it will be while your fishing.

9. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit New Member

State:
    Blue Island, Ill
    Timing is everything:grin-big:.I'm waiting for the mail to bring me my first baitcaster (the abu-6000).I want to use it just for catfishin.What would ya guy's suggest on rod selection for the begginner?I was thinking 7' medium heavy.Line is another question?I was thing spiderwire stealth? I'm also pondering just buying some cheap 12-14# line for some practacing(sp) before i put quality line on.....Thank's everyone.........hickshh please keep us posted on how it's going with the baitcaster.....Thank's again Mike

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have two 6000's and love them. They cast great and are smooth. Biggest cat caught on them is 9lbs, but are great. Hopefully this year I will get a lot bigger one, hopefully a lot of them. I would not hesitate to buy more of them but have enough at this time. 2, 6000; 1, 6500c4; 2, 7000c3.Then a bunch of smaller reels for bait fishing.

11. greenwood

greenwood New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not much experience catfishing but lots of Northern fishing. Never had much luck with the Abu's I had previously. Trouble adjusting free spool, bird nests, etc. Switched to a Shimano Calcutta 400D with a 7 foot med/heavy rod and absolutely love it. Went out with Tim Hagan last weekend for my first intro into fishing for big catfish (weather did not cooperate :-( though). Will be going out 3 more times with him in April. Anxious to catch a big'un with my rig.