My first attempt at rope lures

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, Nov 14, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    After looking at pictures posted by LadyValea1, I decided to try making some good ole gar lures. I used the bottom of a tin food can for the blades and paper clips are the best wire to use (in my opinion). Here are my first two:

garlures.jpg

Let me know what you think.

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    if it works great but i think i would use something stronger than paper clips to soft of a metal but props for giving it a shot and good luck let us know how they work

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The gar I am targeting are only in the 2-10 lb range so I think the wire will hold.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the ones i have seen used are a piece of nylon rope about a ft long. tie your line in the middle and unravel the rope and fold it over and put a rubber band or a tie of some sort about a half of an inch from the not of the line so you will have a piece of rope about 5 1/2 inches long. it will fan out in the water when it isnt moving then straighten out when you pull on it. and the gars teeth get tangled in the rope. saw a guy catch them all day one day in a local river. some were at least 4 ft long.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Do you have to put a chunk of shad on it or what atracts them to it?

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    The flowing nylon looks like a baitfish swimming, like the skirt on a spinnerbait. It usually creates a reaction strike from the gar.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will have to give it a try. Do they work at night?

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Look pretty good, but now I want to see some photos of some fish you caught! Reps to ya!!

Kenny