My fingers to hold up a flathead catfish...Not!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LadyValea1, Sep 14, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    :crazy: ok, I see a lot of guys holding their flatheads like they are working out their shoulder muscles....ah, do you put your bare fingers in that cats mouth? duh, do they crush your fingers? and make'em bleed?
    just wondering? I think me sissy, I would use gloves....tee-hee..:embarassed:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The flatheads won't hurt you to bad its the blues that you need to be careful with.

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    True That Flatheads Won't Hurt You But Every Now And Again They Will Cut Your Fingers, Had One Cut Three Of My Fingers And I Bleed Like A Stupped Pig.lol. Matter Of Fact The One I'm Holding In My Picture Got Me Pretty Good,but It Was Worth It Since It Weighed In At 26lbs.

4. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ah they dont hurt after the first time you do it stickin your fingers in there mouth just becomes habit

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Flatheads don't bite down very much or very hard. Only time I've been cut by one is because he was flippin side to side,kinda like sawing my fingers. It is best to use gloves. If you don't wanna hold them by the mouth then make sure to get your hands wet before you pick the fish up. If your hands aren't wet it removes the outside slime from the fish and algea/nasty stuff will grow on the fish in these places. I don't know why it happens but I've seen fish with "handprints" on them.

6. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Dont worry Tina im kind of a sissy too! :angry: I always but my hands in the gills, but thats just what i would rather do! Have fun! :big_smile:

7. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    me myself i dont put my hands no where in a fishes mouth with out gloves, had a bad exp, with a salt water fish . was told they didnt bite but just as soon as i put my fingers in it mouth ,,,wham it proceded to bite the crap out of my fingers..lol so i use gloves now,,

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    just like shortbust said, the only way they can mess you up is when the flip around and shake their heads.

9. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    feels like sand paper.

10. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't know the best practices for holding up a flattie...because.....I'm sorry to say.....I've never caught one. The only cats I seem to catch are channels and bullheads.....I guess where I fish that's what's mostly there, although I've talked with other fishermen where I fish and they say they've caught flats from the same areas I fish.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Took the words outta my mouth

12. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I was out with some people that really don't catch cats and they saw me picking them up in their mouth and they said don't their jaws crush your hands, etc? I think people pick up a catfish when they are 6 years old and your little fingers makes you scared or you hear some crazy story that is not true... what I do know, is that picking up the flatheads by their mouth is the easiest and safest for me.

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tina,
    Use a glove. I currently have 4 wounds on my right hand and 6 on my left from my last outing. They are only scrapes and grazes but if you can avoid breaking skin so much the better...W

14. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From one lady to another,I've only had expeirence with the eaters,but do not kid yourself they too can draw blood.And those scrapes hurt.Yes use Gloves!pk powell:crazy:

15. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I just usally grab the flats by the mouth. The real big ones you have to be careful. It you lift them wrong it will break thier necks. Done that by accident one time. Also flats have some real nasty gills plates. Inside thier gills they have rows of sawtooth edged gills. You get your hand in there but can't get it out too easy. You do pay a price for grabbing flats. You should see what my hands look like during flathead season.

16. Penn209

Penn209 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've had flattys tear my hands up with a poor grip. Kind of like bass thumb.

17. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep my advise is use thier weight against them. also just grab and hang on dont mess around and let it move on your skin as long as they are still yourll just get sand papery thumb for a few days
    its a trophy though

18. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Gilling a big Flat is a good sure fire way to injure the fish and possibley kill it.
    If your practicing CPR you should hold it by the lower Jaw and support its underside. You will find that you have much better control of the fish, especially if its a big one.

The pics look better and its better for the Fish.

Now if your keeping them for Table Fair. Thats another story

Give it a try if your CPRing
    thanks
    Larry

19. smoke

smoke New Member

State:
    Indiana
    don't you all lie flatheads do to bite....shortbus you know better...wear gloves for you safety.....

20. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yea its like 180 or rougher sandpaper and i have been cut pretty good cause they always do the "death roll" with me so it goes side to side and front to back and it gets kinda messy lol

soo on a biggun i use gloves

Jeff