My Favorite Summer Fishing Pattern

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by lonnie84, Jun 4, 2008.

1. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Now that we are entering into the "Summer Fishing Season" I though it would be interesting to see how folks fish the "HOT" days.
    Waht methods do you use and where do you use them (ie. lakes, rivers, channels, deep, shallow, structure with trees, rocks or flats).
    Not asking for anyomes favorite fishing hole. Just the general how and where to fish in the summer!

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I still fish flats close to deep water but I fish some that are deeper and I fish strictly at night. If there are old trees standing in the flat that makes it that much better or fallen trees are really good too. I would rather fish rivers cause the moving water will keep it a little cooler and the fish more active but for now, I am restricted to lakes only because I don't have a big enough boat anymore for the rivers.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    don't have a big enough boat for the rivers?....
    I used my coleman canoe for years , runnin' trotline in the summer months on the arkansas river ..and fishin' off the rocks where they meet the sandy bottom ,is a good place for summer time cats..

Hope you get a bigger boat..so you can do some driftin.

I remember tube fishing below the bridges in lake eufalla,,people in boats would get a kick out of it...

Big truck tube with seat belt straps tied together ,,,,that black tube gets hot in the sun:crazy:

4. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    summer time is the most unproductive time for catfish for me. i dread to see it come. fish are in the holes and when you catch a good one it is lacking 10 to 20% of what it should weigh. anyway, i have caught quite of few fish drift fishing over points on eufaula. usually when you catch one you will catch two or three. then nothing for 30 mins. or so and there they go again.

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    looks like we may fight the buff. gnats while jug fishing the flats starting out then a little later doing the same but in a area with current

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My favorite summer fishing pattern is to play lots of golf:smile2:.

7. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I don't do a whole lot of summertime fishin for cats... when I do it's usually at night or the wee hours of mornin. Summertime I usually like lookin for some crappie... good eatin, too.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Lonnie, all BS aside your best bet for summertime fishing is to fish early morning, late evening and at night. Fish the flats close to deep water to locate the actively feeding fish. If you are fishing mid day stick with the deepest holes on the lake. If you are fishing a river try to fish when you have moving water. If there is no current stay at the house or go golfing:smile2:.

9. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Drink lots of fliuds, your choice. Fish the drop offs and look for any different structure you can find. I catch my biggest, but not the most in July and August. Sweat and catch.
    Keep them lines wet
    Mrwhiskr

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I hide from the sun in the summertime... nighttime fishing only... I choose inside bends of the river with gravel bar in water less than 3 feet deep. The zebra mussels are usually there en masse and the catfish are on those mussels like ugly on a gorilla. Cut shad and punchbait works good for the eaters and occasional 10 pounder.

Gotta be current in the river, and the wind has to be coming from the bank in order to keep those buffalo gnats and skeeters away. Wind carrying your scent to the bank will ring the dinner bell for those skeeters. Dead calm wind is time to be at home in bed.