My Favorite Christmas Gift - Grandaddy's l'il Remington rifle

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi BOC! What is the most meaningful or favorite gift you received for Christmas this year? Mine is my paternal grandfather's l'il Remington rifle. It's a single shot .22, rolling block action, patent date July 22, 1902. Has a standard v-notch sight, but also a peep sight. I'm sure it might be mistaken for a toy by some folks - small and lightweight. It's a varmint gun :big_smile:. Even I could carry this one around all day, although it will probably be adorning one of my walls instead :wink:. Here's the story behind the gun as related to me by my father. Thank you Dad for such a special present.

My grandfather was born in 1902, the son of a farmer. I'm not sure what all he grew, but I know tobacco was one of the crops. One year when grandaddy was a young boy, he went with his uncle to a nearby town market to sell some tobacco. While they were there, his uncle bought him the aforementioned rifle. It cost $12. They also bought a whole stalk of bananas, which my grandad proceeded to eat WAY too many of on the way back and made himself quite sick. When they arrived home, his father wasn't all that happy. He confiscated the rifle.....we're not sure if he was angry about the banana barfing or because he thought his son was too young for the gun :eek:oooh:. From then on it was known as my great-grandfather's gun, and grandaddy never got it back. The rifle ended up in the possession of my great aunt at some point, somehow. When my grandad died in 1975, Aunt Annie decided to return it to it's "rightful" owner and passed it down to MY dad; and now it's been passed on to me. I will treasure it always. Although that isn't the most exciting story I've ever heard, as some of you know my dad has Alzheimer's disease. So today, even more meaningful to me than the gift itself is the fact that Dad can still remember that tale and was able to tell it.

2. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    great story sister, merry xmas

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not only did I enjoy your story Tanya, but I can relate. I have some of the guns that were in my Dad's collection. They are near & dear & special to me, just as I'm sure that rifle is to you - wonderful heirlooms them guns are!

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I think it is a very nice story. I am glad the rifle is back to the 'rightful' owners. I am sure it will be an heirloom in your family for many years. I'm happy for you!

My stepdad who has passed always had his trusty Browning Sweet 16 that he bought new in 1946 or thereabouts. I hunted with that gun a lot in my youth and always coveted it. When he passed on my mother gave it to his oldest son and I was glad because I thought that was where it really belonged. I have his 1946 high school ring from our local school and I only wear it on special occassions but feel like he is with me. He and I were very close and i cherish his memory. You'll enjoy that gun just as much!:big_smile:

5. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks for sharing.:cool2:

J

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for sharing the great story Sis!!!:wink::big_smile:

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great story! A few years ago, I was given two of my grandpa's shotguns. He died several years ago. I'm the only hunter in the family, so I got them. No stories attatched, but I know there are some behind them. He had more, and I hate thinking about what ever became of them. I have some shady family members that bought his house from my grandma. Prolly pawned them for drugs or alcohol.:sad2:

Have a happy new year!

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    great story tanya.i didnt get anything that interesting this year but i got my dads only gun for my 13th birthday.it was a weding present form his great aunt.she gave it to him on his 13th birthday and he passed it on to me.id pass it on to my son but family heirloms dont meen much to him and im fraid he would just trade it off.one of these days maybe but if not ill give it to one of my nephews.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tanya thanks for sharing a great story. I know you will cherish that gun for a lifetime.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tanya, thanks for the very interesting story.

Happy New Year!

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You Tanya for Sharing Your Story of the Gift.Loved It!!!! God Bless. J.D.:big_smile:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Wow, you fellers are GREAT! Never knew a banana story would draw so much interest. Here's a question for some of you nice older gentlemen, somethin' I've been wondering about. Why would they buy a whole STALK of bananas? Were they a fruit which was hard to come by during that time?

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thanks Catgirl for the story.I like old storys like that.

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice story Tanya! :big_smile: I have always had an appreciation for vintage hunting and fishing stuff and I'm sure that rifle is a real beauty! It's great that it has been in your family for over a hundred years! :cool2:

15. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Catgirl I didn't know about your father. I'm very sorry He has this disease,but I share in your joy that he still is able to tell you the story behind the gun that is truly wonderful. May you have a happy and prosperous New Year!!Sister Pat:big_smile_2:

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've been asked a few questions about my present avatar; this is the story, for those of you who wanted to know about the rifle.

17. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Great story!

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well IM a "little" late for this thread but thought id post anyway. Cant remember how old I was but had to be around 10 or so. Christmas day and had all my presents opened when grandpa told me I missed one. So I look and theres a long present, Im thinking fishing pole or gag gift, lol. Much to my surprise it was his old beat up H@R 410 single shot shotgun!!! We went up to the farm that day and he had a couple boxes of ammo for me. I think we shot them all up and its great too that he still remembers that day, probably better than I do. Over the next few christmases I ended up getting the rest of his guns, a marlin model 60 .22 rifle and a tommy gun clone .45. I take them over to his house every once in a while so we can talk about em.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tanya I"m glad you brought this post back up. Since the original post I received my fathers first and only rifle. Its a model 41 Remington single shot. Everyone tells me that it has killed its share of squirrels through the years.

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tanya, glad you revived your thread for I had wondered what the story was behind your avatar. Then as I read all the replies I came across mine on 12/26/08. Oh well....
    :sad2:

Thanks for the interesting story again. :wink:

Betty's granddad had a single shot 22 like that but he gave it to his only grandson. My dad also had one but my oldest brother got it.