My favorite bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by littleman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I clean a mess of fish I keep and freeze the guts and heads to use for kitty bait. The fish heads work great for blues and channels. I only keep the guts from good sized fish like bass, trout, and eater sized cats. It has been my experience that fish guts work a lot better for channels then chicken liver. If you feel the guts there will be a hard knot (not sure what its called). If you run your hook threw that knot the guts stay on the hook really well.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    well, I have enough trouble getting whole fish into the freezer to use as bait, I am sure the boss would not allow heads/guts!! Sounds like a great way to keep bait available though. Thanks for the tip

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Good idea, but be sure to check the regs in your state first! In Arkansas, it's illegal to use any part of a gamefish for bait. On the other hand, the regs don't say a word against grinding up the gamefish scraps and using it for chum.

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never tried grinding them up for chumming. I will give it a try, thanks. I do use a bait bag with the leftover remains to call the kitties in.