My Fat Self

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmandeux, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I got the bad news last week...my cholesterol and triglycerides are too high. The doc gave me a script for Lipitor, but the more I read, the more I'm inclined to try diet/exercise first.

I'm new at this, and trying to get a handle on it, soooooooo......

For those of you in the same boat, care to share? What works, and what doesn't? Successes? Failures?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    If you start on Lipitor watch for weakness or pain in the legs or arms ,if you have any tell your Dr . I can't take Lipitor . I take a small dose of crestor .

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey my uncle is 73 and youd think he is 50.....I am gonna ask him his take cause he has alot of the same issues.I know he cut alot of foods out he loves like bacon and greasy burgers,he uses a forman grill alot and I tell you the ole man is quite the charachter.I help him split wood and he about works circles round me.He give up Paint balling two years ago cause he was afraid he'break something and yes he kicked my butt at that to but the onrey ole cuss is a mentor of mine and I think the world of him.
    I dont know what kind of medications he takes but I know he watches what he eats and does excersise by walking a couple miles 3-4 times a week so.....Good luck and I hope this helps.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    My wife takes lipitor and it keeps her cholesterol number where the doctor wants it to be. I try to keep my weight down by running several days a week. I take my black lab with me and we both benefit from the excercise!

5. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think the best advice is "If it taste good, spit it out".

Unfortunately I don't like that advice. You gotta die of something. "nanner-puddin overdose" is good as any.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Dave I ate cheerio's and oatmeal till I started to smell like a general mills factory....didn't help. I take generic Zocor. It's cheap and works. It's disturbing to go to the Dr. and he's seeing 6 patients to every suited drug pusher out there......makes ya wonder. Clinic looks a lil like an airport with all that luggage.
    :smile2:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gotta lay off the fried food. Any shell fish is also real high in cholesterol. A George Forman grill did the trick for me. Knocked off 30 pounds and kicked the crap outa the numbers. It ain't nothin but discipline and the desire to do it. I ain't preachin but give it a shot. Also lots of veggies and salads. Tater chips are evil. LOL! Good luck to ya.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dave,I took lipitor for a while ,but dr switched me toVitorin,also I cut out the fried foods I loved and nearly stopped eating all potatoes. added a fish oil supplement capsule a day and started doing a little exersize. in one year I lost from 170 lbs down to 145,and my DR said I could stop the vitorin ,my chlorestoral levels were perfect for her.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Consistency. Avoid fried and fatty foods. Start light exercise 3-5 days a week. Do not completely cut off all sweets, red meat, etc. Just limit them. This helps most people tremendously. If not, go back to the doc and consider meds.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dave, I found out about 30 years ago that my triglycerides (normal cholesterol ) were very high (1500). A simple blood test showed my problem was not caused from fats. The doc put me on non prescription Nician, it helped but I didn't like the flushing it gave me each time I took it. I asked him what to do to get off the Nician... he suggested cutting back carbohydrates and jogging twice a day. That worked up till the last few years I've had to take Gemfibrozil to keep triglycerides in control. I stopped jogging after about 20 years and started daily fast walking.

I had to have heart valve replacement but it wasn't caused from high triglycerides.

My wife has high cholesterol and has taken Lipitor for about 10 years to keep in control. Diet and exercise didn't work for her for she was already doing that.

Good luck!

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am 63, never have had my fats checked. Don't know what they are. Don't want to know. I have a number of friends on Lipitor. Their main complaint is joint pain. Their physicians tell them tough and they have to stay on it.

I grew up in an area where if it wasn't fried you didn't eat it. There was no obesity or overweightness. My personal opinion is if you can exercise well or actually work, the problem will help itself tremendously. Damage done, plaque etc. won't change. But that is why they have cardiac stents.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A few years ago, I received a RCA stent due to a heart attack. Doc put me on Zocor for a couple years then switched to Vytorin. My tricycle rides are within legal range now. He recommended quitting white bread, white flour, no more tater chips or donuts, no pasta... cut down the carbs and walk 30 min a day.... the more I think about it.... I may as well shoot myself...:smile2::smile2::smile2:. I had lost 30+ lbs but have got 5 or so of it back lately.:sad2:

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    As you can see from my Avatar, I have a longggg way to go, and I haven't done well keeping on track, but I know from experience that lean meats and fish cooked in ways to drain the fat (like Foreman grill or outdoor grilling) lots of green veggies and NO added sugars/salts, NO bread. No soft drinks or anything with sugar. Just dropping the sugar and cutting back on fats and bread can help alot!! Be cafeful with sauces, flavorings and mixed spices as they may contain sugars or corn syrups and high salts. I use Franks RedHot, vinegar, garlic, sage black or red pepper for any seasoning ( when I behave )
    My Dad was 55 and weighed 325 and lost almost 100lbs in a year eating salads and grilled chicken/fish almost exclusively.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've dropped 60 pounds and two pant sizes. All of my numbers are where they need to be. Thanks to all for your words of encouragement.

Now. Where are those tater tots?:wink:

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Diet and exercise are the cure for most ailments of this kind. The medicine works, but the results when combined with diet and exercise are significantly higher. Good luck

16. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dave, in 2007, sometime or another, my trig's were 750 and my cholesteral was around 240 to 250. I started taking fish oil, eating oatmeal, walking and quit eating anything white (bread, rice, potatoes, ice cream, grits, corn bread, etc.). Today my trig's are 150 and my cholesteral is 150+. Also, during this diet and walking I went from 207 pounds down to a low of 174, now I'm at 182.

I tried Liptor and my arms got so weak I could not turn a wrench. Quit it in a heart beat, doc. said I did the right thing.

If the truth be known, it is not the trig's and cholesteral screwing up our viens and arteries, it is the inflation of those items. Since they don't know how to treat that, they blame it on the T & C.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I tried dieting, and lost weight, but it came back, and brought some friends along! For me, normal dieting just doesn't seem to work. But, since I've taken over most of the cooking at home, I've started eating more foods that are very low in calories, such as green beans, cabbage, tomatoes, okra, and some others. Spinach is low, but I'm not supposed to eat much of it because I'm on Coumadin. As far as frying goes, while it's still not the healthiest thing you can eat, you can greatly reduce the problems associated with it by choosing the proper oil. Pull up a chart on the internet of various oils used in cooking, and you'll quickly see that some are extremely bad for your triglicerides and cholesterol, while others have a pretty low impact on them. One change I made was to stop frying with corn oil and start using Canola oil. One thing I've always hated about getting fried okra in a restaurant is the extremely heavy coating around it; can't really taste the okra. When I fry it, not only do I use a much lighter coating, but I fry the okra whole, rather than cutting it up first. I'm probably getting about 1/4 the amount of coating as compared to, say pre-breaded okra you buy in the store. And the breading is what soaks up the oil.