My experience w/ different hooks on a trotline

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by vetrock, May 26, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Take this for what it's worth.

I tested circle, kahle, and J hooks on trotlines this past week, and these are my observations.

Circle hooks had a higher percentage of fish on them. One line only had 4 circles on the line out of about 40 hooks. The line produced 3-5 a day, and everytime but once at least one of the circles had a fish, and once 2 of the 4 circles had a fish.

Circle hooks are by far and away the most difficult to remove. Also we had more than one catfish get away from us or fall off the hook into a waiting net. I attribute this to the hook being in the very corner of the fishes mouth. If you use circles, then don't lift the line far out of the water with a fish on, and get a net under them quick.

Kahles caught a very slightly higher percentage than J's, but like the circles were harder to remove. Though easier than the circle.

We still caught plenty of cats on J hooks, and are the easiest to remove.

It is possible we just put the circles in the place where the fish were.

In retrospect I will continue to use all 3 hooks, but when making new lines will probably go with circles. My father will stick with J's because getting the fish off, and the occassional lost fish aren't worth perhaps catching a few nore fish to him.

We caught 41 cats in all. Our freezer is full. It was a good fishing trip.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Again, this is just FYI. A couple of years ago I switched my J hooks on my jugs over to kahle hooks. I got a little better hookup ratio, but they rusted out after one summer of use. I went back to using Big-Eye trotline hooks, which are much, much easier to attach and remove, and which last much longer, even though I don't use the stainless steel version on my jugs. If you plan to leave your trotlines in the water very long though, you should use stainless steel to prevent rust.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Vetrock,,,,,I did the same test on trout lines and limb lines about 5 years ago. I have changed all my hooks over to circle hooks. Good job on running the test.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Good report and nice catch rocky.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just ran some lines for the first time the other night. I caught 22 cats all good eating size. I am new to this but if my line isn't really tight is that going to cause me to catch less fish. I try my best to set them straight and tight. But i imagine once I let that weight go it slacks up a bit. Is this something I really need to worry about or is it fine.

6. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I have had the kahle hooks in the water for a total of about 10 days, and I am starting to notice some rust. So, I can see this will be a problem. The circles and J's are stainless steel.

7. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I have always been told that the tighter the better. I make it as tight as I can and still have the line sit on the bottom of the river.

8. jkirkpatrick

jkirkpatrick New Member

The line should be tight as possible, however it will only be so tight with 5-10 lb weight. In the past I have stretched the line as tight as i could get it then drop my weight, but what was happening is the line was acting like a rubber band, and when I released it it would spring back ALOT, which actually caused alot of slack in the line. Nowadays just pull the line till till the slack is out then drop the weight. Hope this makes sense to you.

9. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I fish bank to bank, so this is not a problem for me, but I see your point if you use a weight at one end.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I ran them again today and tried to get them a little tighter. Two of my lines had been cut clean cut so I am guessing it wasn't an accident. Kinda pisses me off to do all that work and then come back to find my lines cut so I can't find them on I dragged the bottom and got it but the other was in 60 ft of water and I couldn't get it well lessoned learned hide your lines as well as possible. I used a piece of 80lb mono for the exposed part of the line to my weight so that it wouldn't be seen but I guess somebody saw them anyways.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Awesome post and interesting testing I figured circle hooks would be good I know when I use them on my catfish poles, the circle hooks worked great, I have tryed the J hooks to but seems like when using them you usually have to set the hook.

12. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I had a line cut for the 1st time this past weekend. Like I said, I had it tied from bank to bank, and both sides were cut. You know it's malicious when that happens. Anyway I found the line by dragging the bottom with a treble hook, and I could feel it being pulled while trying to get it outta the water. I had a 3lb channel on it. So, the joke was on them.

13. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:Dont pull your line to tight because it will pull back and actually have more slack than if you pull it firm and let the weight down.We have allways about half way down the line put a float,as it tryes to pull up and cant it wil make the line very tight.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A hint for removing circle hooks- I us a pair of channel locks. I grab the hook near the eye and use the weight of the fish against it and give it a little "pop" to release it. Just remember the true angle of entry is NOT the same as a j hook.

15. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    We use another line to set the anchor tight without the spring effect. Take another line and run through your anchor do not tie it but double it over hang on to the end and feed out line until almost on the bottom pull tight and let the anchor settle then pull the other line up.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks for the finding... been debating what I want to use and may just go the circle hook way. Thanks.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Check Chapter 2 in this article in the library for a sketch showing a method to keep your line tight.