My easy doughbait recipe- "Kitty Treats"

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by KScatwoman, Apr 19, 2007.

1. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Greetings! This is my first post here, so I figured I'd share a recipe to get things started... I stumbled across this by accident, as the original formula/recipe was a batch of oven-baked cat treats (feline, not finned) that none of our cats would touch. I went fishing and threw some in the cooler, and tho they were kinda hard to put on a circle hook...they were like crack on a cracker to Ol' Whiskerlips! I caught my limit that night, and have since tinkered with the formula a bit to make it a bit easier to work with...

So, here goes:

1 can jack mackerel (usually found next to the canned salmon at your local grocery store)
    1 large can tuna in oil
    1 tin of sardines in oil
    1 can cheap salmon-flavored cat food
    1 cup bacon grease
    3 large eggs
    2 bottles garlic salt
    whole wheat flour (4-8 cups depending on how the dough 'feels')

Mush up the fish, catfood, eggs, bacon grease, & 1 bottle garlic salt until things are nice and smooth (use your fingers). Then, slowly add the flour, one cup at a time, kneading it in with your fingers until a firm dough forms. You can keep this dough in a ziploc baggie in your fridge until you need it.

To make the doughballs:

Add a few tablespoons of garlic salt to boiling water, to kick things off. Roll the dough up into balls & lay 'em out on a baking sheet lined with newspaper- when you've got enough, dump 'em in the water and boil them until they're firm (I use 6 or 7 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to fish 'em out, then lay them out on the newspaper to dry. As they dry, keep sprinkling them generously with the garlic salt- just shake & jiggle the pan to roll 'em around in it. When they're cool and no longer slimy/sticky, toss 'em in a ziploc baggie and store in the fridge.

I've used these on both circle hooks and treble hooks, and found they'll stay on very well- even if you really wing 'em out there with some effort.

Oh, and here's a bonus bait:

Always, always- save the livers and kidneys from your catch! The kidney is the "Y" shaped dark organ located next to the spine, under the white air bladder; the kidney is roughly arrow-shaped and located on the fish's underside somewhat between the gill slits (be sure to pinch out the yellow to green gall bladder). Dump the mess in a ziploc baggie, and add a ton of garlic salt to draw out the moisture. Store 'em in the fridge until you need 'em. The morsels are the perfect size to rig on a circle hook, and best of all- they're free! I gotta love dual-purpose catfish...good eats AND good bait! :big_smile:

Edit- oops...I forgot the bacon grease up above! :p

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Thanks for the recipe and welcome to the boc. There is alot of good info on this site

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome aboard, and thanks for the recipe.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Molly! I would guess that you're mostly catching channel cats on the kitty treats, right?

5. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks for the warm welcome, fellas... :smile2:

jtrew- yeah, I'm catching channel cats; the few places I go only have channel cat. I'd happily hunt flatheads, but I really don't know of any good places nearby to go after 'em. I'm guessing that flatties and channels both taste about the same?

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Welcome to the group and thanks for the bait tip.
    Bill

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't catch enough flatheads to give you a first hand opinion about taste, but most everybody seems to agree that flathead tastes best.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25: :0a25: :0a18: Molly thanks for the bait tip and welcome to the BOC. You are going to love it here. :big_smile:

10. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Welcome welcome. Thanks for the great recipe. The next nite the wife works the son and I will have to whip up a batch. I have a bunch of frozen shad. Might try to blend them up and substitute that for all the other fishy stuff. I have an uncle that lives in Haysville and works at Boeing. His name is Brent Pearce. You never know how small the world is unless you ask. Enjoy;

dru

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks for the recipe and welcome to the boc

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :0a18: :0a25: :0a25: :0a25: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: You will love this site. It's addicting!!

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I will try the recipe and see if it works here at Ray Roberts Lake. Thanks.

14. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the recipe.Welcome to the BOC.:cool2:

15. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Thanks for the receipt - I'll have to give it a try!