My Driftmaster Bent!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by stumpjumper, May 14, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well, a bit of a lesson learned I guess. I have the "lil pros" which have 3/8 inch bases. Last weekend a 43# Blue ended up bending one of them. All of my reels are set to rip off drag at a very reasonable tension. Even after the incident I checked to confirm that my drag was set right for my style of fishing. I was quite suprised that this occurred because I have caught much larger fish on these rod holders without any problems. I was on this fish pretty fast too.

I now know that I should have gone with the "pro" model which have 1/2 inch bases. Oh well, live and learn. Still shocked that it bent though.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Be glad you didn't lose the rod and reel!

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I had a fish slam mine hard last year on the Mississippi River and BROKE it at the weld. Yeah..... I'm wishing I went with the 1/2" too. I may just have to buckle down and do it but I already have 12 of the 3/8 inchers installed on my boat!:sad2:

4. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    It might sound crazy but I'm flirting with the idea of using a lanyard (550 cord) and clip in front of the reel as a backup. Thoughts?

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Dan, do you have any mounted yet? Down Easters... :wink:

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I dont want to get into a debate but want to state what works for me.
    I have been using down-east holdres for over 10 years with none broken or lost rods.
    They say the smaller ones are rated for 25# but have caught many around 40#

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    No, BigBird, I appreciate your comments. Actually, I have two down-east that I use occasionally. They are stout rod holders as far as I can tell.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I've fabricated my own rod holders out of 3/8" round rod. It don't really take much to break one, just a bad weld. Knowing this, and knowing the law of averages as they apply to me, I always tie my rods to the boat with a four or five foot piece of small rope. They may break the rod holder, but they are gonna have to sink the boat to get the rod and reel. It is a little inconvenience to fish that way, but it is cheaper than buying one or two outfits each year. LOL

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I fabricated my own out of half inch s.s round bar and I also attached a place for six lanyards. Its cheaper for me to make them plus I trust my welds versus someone elses.

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i made my own...2'' pipe and 3/4'' ground stake. like philips4bigkats said i trust my welds more than i trust anyone elses. need to add some more bar onto the ground stake to make it a little longer.

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how long are the stems on yours? if you use 3/8th then u need to use the shortest stem available to reduce the leverage onthe rod holder when a big one pulls it down... i have all 3/8ths holders on both of my boats and have got snagged drifting and had 40# big game break with the rod still in the holder and doubled under the boat and not bend anything..

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I just moved to the area but when I lived in Florida we did alot of night fishing in salt water. We ALWAYS tied off our rods and have even had a few fish bust the reel but have not lost any.