My dog ate a lightbulb!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Jan 27, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually get to brag on my pooch because she's smart, and funny, and does anything I ask her to do, but last night she did the dumbest thing. I got home from work, went into my bedroom to change clothes, and I looked down and noticed a piece of metal all chewed up on the floor. I picked it up to inspect it, and noticed it was the end of a lightbulb. I looked around, and all I could find were a couple of tiny shards of the glass! I guess she ate the rest.?. I've been keeping a real close eye on her, and everything seems to be OK so far. She's gone #2 twice since then and that's OK so far. Man that was stupid. I wonder what made her think that was edible. Normally she doesn't chew up anything I don't give her permission to chew on. Coltan evedentally changed the bulb in his room, and left the old one where she could reach it.

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I'd keep a close eye on her incase that glass makes a rough journey through her digestive system, but yes that is a classic bonehead dog mistake. I swear I have the smartest dog in the world until he runs full speed into a door

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    My friend has a golden retriver and the took it fishing and it ate all the bait and hooks, He took it to the vets and they xray it and found it did eat all the hooks, The vet told him out side of going in and removing them, He suggested to give the dog a whol loaf of bread with beef broth or chick broth over it, well the dog is still alive after all these years, You might want to try the bread thing, Glass can be xrayed so there is no idea if your dog had ate an idea, good luck

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    That is messed up, it is a new one on me. If it helps one of my sons was
    thought to have eaten a piece of glass. The doctor advised us to feed him
    cotton sandwiches ( no bull ), we took bread put some jelly on it then a
    thin layer of cotton. The doctor said the cotton would surround the glass
    making it unlikely to cause injury.

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Our vet has the same suggestion as ncfowler - bread, and lots of it. We have a dogpound mutt, half lab/half chow/half pitbull by the vet's description, that eats stuff all the time. He says it's the lab in her that can't resist chewing on odd stuff, and she swallows it so nobody else is oging to get it. Probably a result of being in the pound lockup with about 20 other pups. Short of opening her up every other week, he says give her a heavy dose of bread.

She's particularly fond of my daughter's socks for some reason (clean or dirty), but will and has eaten 20-dollar bills, dishrags, slippers, bandaids, sticks, the ball end of a hambone, and a whole chicken carcass, for just a few. We can't leave anything laying around for even a minute. All of these things go down whole and come out whole either back the way they went in, or continue on and pass thru. She has also latched onto the idea that it's exactly time to do this whenever the phone rings. I've even set her up with socks and had someone call on the phone - she grabs 'em and I beat hell out of her with the socks, but it just doesn't take. Dog's 11 year old and still going. Must have a cast iron gut. Any suggestions.

Dennis

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    When my dog Maggie(half rott-half golden retriever) was a pup,she ate a couple of christmas ornaments.There was pieces of it everywhere and i even got some out of her mouth! She was ok with it.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    My dog did the same thing with the socks, shoes, belts, and her leashes.
    I was told that she needed a job by a dog trainer.
    She is now keeper of the squrriels.(sp)
    I gave her the job of keeping them out of the yard.
    And she does a good job of it.
    No more stealing socks, shoes,belts ect.
    It worked!
    Her name is Jen(Clamity Jane).
    I call her "Squrriel Girl"

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've seen humans eat lightbulbs on TV before (stupid) and I also know a guy that would get drunk and sometimes would take a bite out of the side of his glass, and eat it (very very stupid), but at least humans chew their food. Dogs don't usually chew very much. I think she's OK because this was 24 hours ago now, and no problems so far. I once had a dog that ate rocks constantly. Like the driveway was a great big food bowl. Never seemed to bother him any, just makes me wonder what's going on between their ears.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Matt, my good friend's Husky ate lightbulbs AND assorted glass Christmas ornaments. Everything came out a-okay :wink:.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Ralph Waldo Emerson was probalaly right in the dogs case.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a Black Lab that's 4 years old and she has eaten (and rolled) in many things. She hasn't done a light bulb yet but did eat a pile of horse crap one day!:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :angry: :angry: :angry: What the hell could possibly make a pile of crap taste good!:crazy:

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dogs aren't the only ones that eat strange things. The word 'pica' defined in pet terms or people too I suppose:

pi·ca 2 Pronunciation (pk)
    n.
    An abnormal craving or appetite for nonfood substances, such as dirt, paint, or clay.

So it's an eating or desire disorder. You know how some kids eat dirt? Or rocks as one man said his dog did, well that's pica, too.

In Biology I, II, or III, they taught us that stomach acids could dissolve almost anything. Pretty powerful acids we have in there, so hopefully the animal kingdom has the same type of acids in theirs.

John Prine ate a Christmas ornament when he was small, and hey, he's still around to sing those great songs at 50 something.

Good luck with your dog! The bread sounds like a good idea, as most dogs love bread.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S.

2. Solvent--the substance which does the dissolving. Water is the most common solvent. More things dissolve in water than in any other solvent. When water is mixed with an acid such as hydrochloric acid (HCl) it can dissolve more things. Hydrochloric acid is stomach acid which dissolves food in digestion. When carbonic acid becomes dissolved in water, it forms a type of acid rain which can dissolve underground pockets of limestone. When the limestone dissolves, the ground above might suddenly collapse to form a sink hole. If water is mixed with a base, it also can dissolve many things.

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had a dog that ate everything when I left w/o her she ate a bed right thru the mattress, light bulbs, but the most shocking thing she ate was a whole box of shotgun shells.I called the vet. on that one and he told me not to hit her, then he came up with "this too shall pass". BTW the dog lived 17 years. smokey

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    well that was a crappy idea.

:roll_eyes: :wink: