My Dilemma

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tym2Fish, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    On Sun evening 07/16, I decided to fish across from the Marina at Bartlett Lake. I beached close to some rock formations and casted out from these rocks into the channel. I promply caught about a 5lb channel on a gill. I rebait cast and wait. I wedge the pole between some boulders and engage the baitrunner and attach a little bell for good measure. A storm comes rolling in with rain and winds. I look with a flashlight and see that my pole is doubled over and the little bell attached is shaking violently but is hardly audible due to the storm. Its lightening like crazy in the distance and I know that standing on a shore during a lightening storm with a long fishing pole is probably not the best idea. I decide to venture over to the pole just to make sure it was secure and that it wouldnt be lost. While at the pole I decided to just feel the line to see if the fish is still attached as the pole was no longer doubled over. I am within about two feet of the pole an just about to take another step when I hear a rattling noise. I immediately knew the sound to be that of a rattlesnake. I couldnt see it but I knew it was there. It sounded as if it was near the handle of the rod. I made a hasty retreat back to the boat and waited. Of course as soon as I get back to the boat, the bell starts going off again and as I shine the light on the pole it is now doubled over. I spend 20 min trying to convince my Father-In-Law that he should be a nice relative and go check my pole:smile2: . After all I married his only daughter and that alone should be worth something. Needless to say he wasnt interested as neither was I. I waited untill daylight for good measure to check the pole and found that the fish had run my line in some heavy brush and was no longer attached. My Father-In-Law was amazed that I had enough restraint to stay away from a pole with a fish on it. It wasnt a hard decision as I surley didnt want to get bitten by a rattler. But I sure was sitting on the boat thinking of ways I could get to the pole without making the snake mad. No matter as about an hour later, I ended up catching my personal best. I guessed it to be about 30lbs. My Father-In-Law guessed it to be in the upper 30's. I didnt have a scale but that will be the next addition to the tackle box. I CPR'ed it and now have another story to tell the kids. What a great weekend!!!!!

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank God you had the courage to wait,as no fish no matter how large is worth the risk of a Rattler's bite. God just was telling you He had somethin bigger for you to catch,so thankful you are ok Brother!:eek:oooh: :smile2:

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Good catch.

I don't think I could leave the pole alone/
    ~ But with my luck, I would get bit in the @ss and end up catching a stick.

I forgot one a while back caught what I beleived to be a 30 lber + Good thing Matt and his Pop Greg were around the next morning. We weighed the thing out and it ended up weighing just under 20#.

4. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow, that would be a tough call. Nothing is more exciting than seeing your rod double over, and nothing stops you in your tracks faster than a rattlesnake! Congrats on the new personal best!

5. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    Congradulations on the fishin! As for the tackle , maybe a spot light and a little snake charmer on board And Shazaam a hatband is born. Glad you had a great time.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Yeah,
    Or maybe the bussiness end of and oar!

I have accidentaly knocked my wife over, spilled the dinner, and made my dog yelp all in the five steps it took me to get to my cat pole. Some times I don't think about what is in my way when I hear the bait alarm.

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I don't think I could have waited either. That is a hard situation to debate over. I think that you made a wise choice. All of us around here know that a rattler is not the nicest of things to be bitten by...especially when you are that for from the hospital.

At the same time, the fish that you caught...the 30lber may have been the same fish. It is very, very possible. Thinking about it that way may help us all to realize that sometimes we are tested to see how patient we can be.

Congrats on the big catch.

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    LMAO i know the feeling. I have done falls off of the boat, dropped drinks, jumped over campfires all in the name of the illusive fish. My wife says "why cant you move that fast normaly"? She is amazed that I can still manuever like a highschool running back just to get to the pole.

Once I heard the rattler there was no second guessing for me. Its his area not mine. I am just visiting his domain. The last thing I wanted to do is take a trip to the doctor with a couple of puncture wounds in the leg. Now that I think about it I could have used my extendable gaff to drag the pole closer to me. My luck I would have grabbed the snake instead. I just found it funny that when I get to the pole all the action stops. Then I hear the snake and once back on the boat that pole was bending and shaken like a tree in a heavy wind. Figures....No matter its just another adventure in the book we call fishing.