My deck is done!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Jul 6, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Whew!
    Finally!

I gave it a final sweep again last night, and hung up my gloves on another project.

My porch-deck.

Before it was merely a slab of concrete and in michigan, that can be quite cold sitting out there barefoot while enjoying coffee. Plus, I happen to like the "rustic cabin" look.

So my old schoolhouse has been slowly getting a new look. Beofre when we got it it had an 80 year old shed out back, plain white vinyl siding and no shutters.
    First I built the garage with my family in the summer of 04. Eight saturdays to be exact, working from 10 till 5. At the end of the project I had a 44X24 garage and I cooked up a whole wild boar for everyone to enjoy.
    Then last summer I took a day and built shutters for the window boxes and my dad did some flower boxes out of the same material. We hung em up and roasted a deer leg on an open fire... it was a good day.
    So July 4th, I had my dad come out with his chop saw and table saw (cause theyre better'n mine), and invited the whole family to watch ths deck get put together. I had all the wood cut by the amish from trees I picked out of their pile last fall. I planed each board on the deck and left all the other stuff rough cut (cause its so dern pretty). Each board was sanded routed and stained over the winter. I collected 3 and a half contractor bags of chips and sawdust- what a mess in my garage!

Anyhow it all came together and by dark-thirty, I had a deck. To celebrate I smoked up slabs of ribs- 1 kc masterpiece, one dry rub, one red pepper and maple and one sweet baby ray. mmmm-mmm! I love doing projects and barbecues at the same time!

Here are the pics of the house with the shutters, the porch deck, and the garage.

I just love roughcut cedar with the natural red cedar stain! The wood IS the artwork. All Im doing is showing it to the world.

And my wife still has not seen it yet!!!! LOL

Thats funny... I showed it to you all before I emailed it to her.

Have a good one! I earned a fishing trip for this one and so this weekend, jspiel, dreamcatcher, and I will be going out flatheading.

enjoy. I know I will.

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I may have to revisit this home improvement stuff. I don't think I've been approaching it with the proper mindset.
    :embarassed:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

that all looks great.You do fine work

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Looks nice Sal! Very nice lookin place you got.

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Same here.
    Nice job Sal.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Lookin great Sal! Got a whole hog comin here soon. Come on down and get a plate and bring help! hehehe theres going to be a shop project awaiting.

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    It looks alright..... haha jk. Did a great job there, Sal! So, get a line wet and a flattie dry! Good luck with the fishin', buddy.

-Red

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You have a really neat place Sal. Nice job on the garage and porch/deck!

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sal, that is awesome work brother. Rep points deserved but got to wait until I get some more. Very nice job you did, I can tell you planned it in advance and cut to precision. Pat yourself on the back brother.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    nice job...looks great

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sal,
    No worries, your wife will be proud and delighted! Great job.

12. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    good job. that looks great. i built a large deck last summer and it was tough. i was glad to finish it.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I wouldn't have expected anything less of our Sal. I love wood too; what a nice home you have. I suppose I need to try to reprogram my mind about remodeling also! Old houses, ya know..... mine was built in 1943. Anyhow, I'm sure Elena will be very happy with the result when she returns. Sure looks good to me!:smile2:

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sal, That really looks nice. You have a nice looking place.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That looks great,you did a very good job!!!

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Sal, that is a great looking job! You should be very proud.

My first building project was a roof over the concrete patio slab on our first new house. I'll never forget the day I started it, I had removed the facial board from the back of the house and wife came out looked it over... she look very worried. But surprisingly it all came out o k. :lol:

Several years later I enclosed it with glass and later built a 2 car garage in the alley.

17. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Good job, i really like that wooden trim, that looks really nice

18. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Youve done a great job

19. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Well its about time you got that done LOL you should have gave me a call i would have come and helped you out

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looking good Sal. If you get down this way I have a 125 year old house I need some help with! I'll put a deer on the grill! LOL