My Daughter saved someone from drowning last night.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Love Them Cats, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    This weekend started out bad and we should have just stayed home.

Friday I went to the school to pick up my daughter where the bus lets her off.
    About the time the bus pulls in, I get a phone call from her. The first thing she said was they were OK and they had been in a little accident. Instead of riding the bus, they got a ride from one of their friends. This guy in a truck pulls out in front of them, then slams on his brakes and stops in the middle of the road to talk to someone and they hit him in the rear. All the kids were OK but it totaled his little pickup.

Saturday we decided to go fishing at a spot we found a couple months ago.
    It's under a bridge on a small river. One side of the river, they have a place to pull down and park beside it, and the other side was just rock cliffs and pretty deep.
    We had been fishing a little while and the kids ask me if they could go to the other side and sit on the rocks and fish? I wasn't to happy about the idea, but I let them go.

My daughter is always getting mad at me and saying I'm too protective because I always tell her no and won't let her get to far because I'm always scared something will happen. I thought I'd be nice and let them go this one time?

They got to the other side and was heading down and my daughter slipped and fell a little ways but was OK. They finally make it down to the water and her boyfriend hit a slippery rock and falls in the river and he cant swim. I'm setting on the other side of the river and watched him fall in and about that time, my daughter jumps in after him, she can swim pretty good.

As I'm heading to the top of the bridge, I can hear them both yelling, he was yelling for help, and she was yelling at him to let her go so she could help him. This was going on all the time I was running across the bridge.
    By the time I got across the bridge and was headed down, it was silent, no yelling, no water splashing, no nothing.
    As I was headed do, I tripped and rolled down the rocks about 50 feet or so and when I finally got up, there they were. She was setting on the rock and he was still in the water, but he was up there hanging onto the rock.
    I had to set there a couple minutes and let my heart catch up before I tried pulling him out of the water.

They both had a few bumps and scrapes but were OK. Me, I didn't come out so good. That roll down the rocks messed up both knees and arms and everywhere else.
    While we were setting there trying to calm down a little, my daughter says, why didn't you tell us no like you always do? I told her, she didn't have to worry about that again because I'm never going to say yes again.

After we got back to the other side, we stayed there a little while and they said they wanted to go somewhere else. They didn't want to go home, but another place to fish.
    I told we could go below the dam and fish there a while. As we were headed that way, I got to thinking about the place we usually fish there and it's a little steep, but don't know how deep? I told them we would try down a ways where it isn't so steep.
    We got over there and seen a place I've wanted to try, but there always been people there. It was open and we decided to try there, it was a little rough driving down to it, but we made it. We stayed there about an hour and wasn't getting anything, so we decided to leave.
    Getting down to this place wasn't to bad but right there at the end, it was a little steep and loose gravel. As we were pulling out, we would get about half way and the tires would just spin. I tried it a couple times and finally told the kids they would have to get out and try and help push the car up the slope. We finally got out and back on the road and headed home.

I was getting pretty sore last night from my roll down the hill, but today I can hardly move. I have places hurting I didn't even know I had.

I think this is one weekend we will remember for a while.

Ken

2. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Bless your heart!!! I fell so sorry for you, one for the sheer adrenlin that you had trying to get to your daughter, 2nd, for taking the fall down the hill. I hope that you are ok.
    Sorry your weekend was so bad. Maybe the next weekend will be a breeze. :tounge_out:

3. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey ken my wife is a soon to be nurse and she read this and she seems to think that you should go to the doctor. you never know but you may have something broke and not know it. but glad to hear that you all are still with us today. your girl is a brave soul. she could have freaked out but she acted on her impouse and thats good. well keep us posted on how you feel.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    give your daughter a job well done from me please.

5. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I'm felling OK, just sore.
    I haven't run that hard in a long time and didn't even think I could do it any more, but it's surprising what a person can do when they are in a situation like that?

This weekend is pretty much shot, but I'm hoping next weekend will be better?

Ken

6. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I am glad everything turned out okay.

7. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    I am glad everything worked out fine. Give your daughter a pat on the back for me. She did what had to be done with out freeking out. She was brave. I hope you didn't hurt any thing with your fall, you should have it checked out though. Hope your next week-end turns out even better.

8. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Hey Rob.

I think everything is in one piece, it doesn't feel like anything is broken.
    I'm having a little problem raising my left arm above shoulder height, and achy all over, but I think with a little time, everything will be back to normal.

My daughter really surprised me because she usually freaks out when something happens. Last she didn't even think about it and just jumped in and did what she thought she could do to help?

My daughter is pretty short, around 5 ft, or a little under, but she is pretty strong and she can take care of her self pretty good. She even got under him and pushed him up so he could get some air.

I thought the way he was fighting her, they were both in trouble, but she told me that she never had any problem or worried about her own safety.

Ken

9. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Will do Buster.

Ken

10. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Man, sounds like you had a GREAT time :tounge_out: ...Glad everyones ok buddy..

11. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    First and foremost I am glad you did not get hurt to serious from the fall second make sure to tell your daughter way to go on the heroism evidently speaking as a father you raised yourself a level headed girl right there and she will probley surprise you often with actions like that

12. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Here are some proxy rep points for you to give to your daugther. And how about a slap on the back of the boyfriends head for not knowing how to swim:tounge_out:

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry to read all the problems you had. I can imagine being scared and in a hurry to get to them. Plus when you couldn't hear them anymore, that had to be scary. Hope you will be ok after your fall.
    Tell your daughter, good job. She sounds like she handled it well. Telling boy to settle down so she could help him. Sometimes when someone panics, the one helping, cant and ends up needing help themselves. She did a good job. Also glad kids was ok in car accident. Glad it turned out well and hope you get over your fall.

Not trying to preach but ............................
    About not knowing how to swim. I think everybody should learn how to swim especially those who go to lake/fishing, swimpools etc. Actually because of woods in our area, being outside people we was with our kids growing up, lakes, ponds , swimming pools, kids growing up and going to lake with other kids, family and back yard pools etc. With my kids, learning to swim was as important as learning to walk, talk and potty train. Both my kids was in diapers when they learned to swim. We was in pools, lakes etc. all summer
    long. As they got older, they could swim like a fish. LOL. Became second nature to them.
    They would scare us sometimes by swimming under water. We always went over safety rules.. All kids that went with us camping knew how to swim except for one we took with us. 14 years old scared of water. I was nervous enough with kids in water and then had to double worry about one who couldn't swim.

When my boys was 6 and 8 years old. Daycare gave swim lessons. We put em in for something to do at daycare and to re-fresh them with safety rules. Sometimes hearing others talk about safety is as good and maybe better than parents being the only one's to talk about it. My boys scared the instructors to death. LOL. Kids got in pool and my 2 swim to deep end and back, under water. They could do it all. Swim above, under, float, back swim. Daycare said they swim like a fish and didn't need the lessons but let them stayed free of charge cause they helped the instructors by example and safety.

Swimming IMO is a good thing to learn

14. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    God bless you all Ken,hope everyone gets to feeling good again soon.
    glad everyone came out allright,although a bit battered and bruised...
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

15. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Well guys, I'm still a little sore, but getting around better.

I still can't raise my left arm much, but everything else is feeling better.
    When my daughter got home from work, you'd never guess what they wanted to do?
    That's right, they wanted to go fishing, so we went out for a few hours.
    I didn't really want to go today, but I'm kind of glad we did?

We went to our usual place, I like it because it's like a dock and has a fence around it, not much of a chance of falling in, unless you climb over the fence.

I caught a bunch of small ones, but did manage to catch one around 2 pounds or so.

I think going out today helped work out some of the soreness, but I'll know in the mourning?

Ken

16. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    My daughter has already told him that he's going to learn how to swim and she was going to teach him.

I don't swim much, but I think I could swim good enough to save my self but I don't think I would be able to help anyone else?

After it was over and everyone was ok, I told her she did a great and I was proud of her.

You hear about people drowning and most of the time it's the one's trying to help that ends up drowning.

Ken

17. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    glad everything is ok you should be proud

18. Locke

Locke New Member

State:
    IL
    You have a brave daughter. Glad everyone turned out okay. How old are they? They must not be too old if you didn't want them to wander away.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yer daughter done well , its not easy to save someone who cant swim especialy when they panic , lol they climb up on you like a coon on a dog guess they think yer head is a dock and want to stand on it . she done a great job . glad yer get thru ok with the tumble . now insist if that boy is going to continue dating yer daughter that he learn to swim . good luck on the rest of your fishing trips

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yer daughter done good!!!!

Glad everything turned out ok. If your shoulder doesn't stop hurting by this evening, you deffinately should have it looked at in the mornin.