My daughter is going to shoot me for telling this.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Love Them Cats, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    We were out fishing the other night and we tried just about every place we could get into and wasn't having much luck.

A guy at work was telling me about a spot he fishes. I don't like trying new places at night, but we decided to give it a try?

We had been there about ten minutes and my rod bent over, so I give it a big jerk, and it didn't move.
    I thought it was snagged on a tree stump or something, so I was pulling on the line to break it loose when I notice it was pulling back and started moving.

I told my daughter to get the net ready because whatever it was, was big.

I stood there and fought with it for a while, and it finally started towards the bank and all of a sudden, there were fish, frogs and everything else in the water going crazy, jumping and flopping everywhere and I wasn't sure what I had. I could see the water splashing where it was coming in, but it was too dark to see much else.

I finally got it to the bank and reached down and grabbed the line to pull it up to see what it was, and it was a big snapper, the biggest one I've seen in a long time.

I had a swivel on so I thought I'd just undo the swivel and let it go. After 5 minutes or so trying to undo it, I just decided to cut the line.

Once he was loose, he just sat there for a little while, then he moved in the water and set there. I was getting tired of waiting for him to move, because I wanted to get back to fishing, so I took my rod and tapped him on the back of the shell.

My daughter was sitting on the ground next to me and her boyfriend was standing next to her.

When I tapped the turtle, he did not like it at all, he flipped around and started heading towards my daughter and run up under her legs before she could get up.
    The next thing I knew, she was screaming and jumping, the lantern was flying around everywhere, I'm surprised she didn't throw it in the water.

Needles to say, it scared her to death, and she went to the car.

We loaded up and left and I think that's one place she'll never want to try again?

Ken

2. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    haha thanx for sharing.....u shoulda taken a pic of the turtle sounds big though

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for sharing and i would sure like to catch a snapper on rod and reel. hey, why did you clean it and sell the meat. its reall easy to clean and i sell mine for 4.50 a pound and it sells like hot cakes. congradulations though and i think i might do that to my future girlfriend some time!:lol: :lol: :big_smile: :big_smile:

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Luckily you kept all your fingers after you got it in the bank. LMAO

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    lol the poor girl!!!

If you had gotten pics, they coulda been used as blackmail on her at her wedding reception!!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great story,Thanks for sharing!!!

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Thanks for that story. Tell her not to be worried, I probably would have jumped also!

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Haha yeah she could be traumatized from here on out of night fishing PERIOD. But who knows, maybe she'll go back out cuz she liked the rush :tounge_out:LOL. Sounds like she had a "spooktacular" night.

9. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I wish we had a camera with us so we could have taken a pic of it?

As we were heading to Bernice, I told her I wish I had my video camera and got it on film, but I didn't have it?

By the time we got to Bernice that night, she was ready to do some more fishing, but I noticed she didn't stand as close to the water as she had been doing.

We went out again last night (not there) and she was fine and had a good time, but she was watching for turtles.

I think from now on, when we try new places, it's going be in the day time?

Ken

10. jklm

jklm New Member

State:
    la.
    great memories made

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats a funny story sounds like the time my wife and i tried a new spot in the dark i was following a deer trail that ran beside the river just off the trail to the right of me i saw a small tree that was laid over my wife was behind me and all of a sudden the hole tree moved i shine my lantern over to see what made the hole tree move and it was a beaver not your average everyday beaver one of those man eating satin spawned beaver needless to say i screamed like a little girl and got the heck out of his way

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    you should have kept the turtle they are good eating.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just don't let them snappers get ahold of you. She was lucky it didn't try to grab a hold of her.You know the old saying "they won't let go until it thunders "and at the rate it's going round here that may be a long time

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Hey Ken, The next time your outfishing with her, sneak up behind her and run the tip of your rod up her leg... You can bet that You'll relive the same moment over with that turtle hehehehehe

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Man great story you will be telling it years to come:haha: :haha:

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Mister turtle would have been slippin in my you no what if I was her .
    Brian

17. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nice story, I caught a huge snapper before, they have one big ugly head!

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Great story thanks for sharing.

19. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    That will leave a lasting impression! Good story!

20. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    thats a great story. dont we all have a turtle story. dont let her know you posted this story or else you will probably get a beat down.