My Dad's Identity is in danger!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmaster Jr., Mar 22, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, I don't know all of the details right now, but this actually happened a couple days ago and I just thought I'd post about it. I'm going to try to keep it shortened down.

My Grandpa gets a call in the morning, a man claiming to be from a law office saying that "Jonathon Royce" (then called out his SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!) wrote a bad check for a big screen T.V. back in 2001 and they have been trying to contact him for years and now the police are going to be called in unless we send this so called "Law Office" a $600 check.

Okay, well my Dad's name is not Jonathon it's Jon. But my grandpa is of course an older man and doesn't think about it being a scam yet, and they have his correct social security number and middle and last name. So anyway my grandpa talks to the man a few minutes and then he hung up and called the company that was supposely going to call the police or something on my Dad, and the company says it is a scam because they know nothing about it.

So, I call the number and the guy answers just like a real lawyer or something, and then I don't tell him who I am, or who I'm calling about or anything, but just try to get them scared or something and try to get an idea of what kind of people they really are, so I tell him I know what they are doing and the police do also now and are on the way. The guy definitely gets nervous and pauses for a while and then starts making up all this stuff about I must know whoever I'm calling for has done something wrong or something, I didn't really understand what he was trying to say. But anyway, it ends with me calling him some names, and him telling me he's going to pull up my account and notify the police about me.....and he hangs up...I laugh to myself, he's going to pull up my "Account" and I'm 16, and he knows nothing about me besides my cell phone number? Hmm, Ok.

Anyway, my Dad tries reporting it to some orgazination that I can't think of the name of, but they handle fraud stuff. And the guy bascially says he's not going to do anything about it unless more people complain of the same scam.

We are worried however because they do have his social security number and almost have his full name correct, and we can't seem to do anything about it. What I want to know is, do you think it's probably not a big deal and we should not worry with it right now, or are we taking the right approach by really trying to figure out something to do about it?

Also, I wonder how they got my Dad's info like that? I think my Dad said the number is a New York number or something....I do have the number if anyones intrested in calling them acting like you're from the FBI or something....:roll_eyes: :tounge_out:

Zakk

2. catfishing22

catfishing22 New Member

State:
    AZ
    for a few dollars u can get any ones info on the internet

3. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if you have the number report it to the police

im not sure im not an attourney or police officer but i think if its accoss state lines its an interstate charge of some kind

maybe they will stop it before someone really gets hurt

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I pray it don’t happen because I have been fighting with mine for almost 2 years now and my credit is some kind of screwed up. I don’t own a credit card (that I have applied for that is). But I have 8 in my name with over $23, 671.72 in debt on them with 90% of it spent in Canada. And because of trade agreements we can not cross the border to try and recover my money. I have spent over $9,000 on legal fees and such trying to recover from this and am screwed to this day.

5. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I can't recommend checking you credit report annually enough.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wanted to tell catfish22 welcome to the BOC. Seen it was his first post. To katmaster; if you know a lawyer i would ask him about this and see what agency's you can report this to. That kind of info in the wrong hands can do a lot of damage.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im dealing with something like this now too. about a year ago i started getting strange employers on my job sheet for the unemployment office when i get the winter lay off and file a claim. wasnt sure why and they told me nothing. after asking one fella he told me to check with the social security office. thier records were fine and nothing strange.

went back to the unemploy office and asked more Q's finally i was told jesus remeriz was using my SS# towork illegally in the u.s. now im fileing a complaint with the cops and the fbi, so if ya happen to read this crook thier coming.

last month i got a letter from them stating i had drawn $3009.00 in benifits while collecting 40 hr paychecks. they said i may want to contact a lawyer. i went to the employer and thier records showed i han no wages during the 7 weeks that unemployment said i did. so i was cleared of the overpayment. this illegal has my stuff screwed up. and we should give ill alieans rights? rights to do what, screw the reg citizen? this happened onced on ebay when i fell for a spoof e-mail and gave them all my log in info. they listed $5000+ on my account. luckely i seen it before any bids and contacted ebay. got my account info changed. its just getting worse.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can call the credit reporting companies and explain what happen. They can put a notice on his report so if something gets checked they will look at who is checking. A safe guard.

Danny

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The others have already posted great advice. I can olny tell you to call a man by the name of Clark Howard. You can get his number off of
    www.clarkhoward.com he is a radio guy and helps people with all kinds of financial questions and problems. I think he would say what the others have said:fraud alert, possibly freezing accounts, report the guy to the police, pull up a free copy of your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com I think is correct. you can get 1 free report from each agency every 12 months and there is no charge are "sign-up" fee. It might help you if you could get the guys physical address and not a P.O. Box to put into your report. Then again it is posible that they are looking for a guy with Jonathan as a fisrt name and just got a list of several J's (last name here) and your dads was the closest match.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you all for the advice, I told my Dad....He said he's not worrying about it too much right now, but he did report to it to some agency or something...I don't know what all is going on with it really, it's fustrating though.