My Craziest Catch Yet

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Krauseb, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I took off work this past friday to go wet my lines. I uaually have two cat poles in the water and have a little light weight pole I use to dink around and try and catch some bait fish and maybe a bass or two if I can.

Well anyways, I had the two cat-poles in the water and was bait fishing around a fallen tree with a crappie spinner when all of a sudden my line start peeling off my reel. After it tired out and I reeled him in it was a 3lb Channel Cat. The line had wrapped around its tail and hooked him at the very top of the meaty part of his tail. I guess the lure had spooked him and when he turned around to leave he got tangled in the hook. It was very surprising to reel him in backwards. As he was coming out of the water I was trying to figure out what they heck was on there before I realized he was on the line backwards LOL!.

Sad part about it, that was then only catch I had all day ... not even a bite.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Would'nt have starved! LOL! Cool story.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    At least u caught something. Channels do bit lures sometimes.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    You never know where or how your gonna catch the kittys.Least you did catch something.Just not the tradtional way.

5. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on the cat. Atleast you didn't get skunked. I bet that kitty was a fun fight. I snagged a 10-15 lb carp in the tail once. Was probably the best fight I've ever had.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there's another possibility on why that fish was tail hooked... could have taken a strike at it and missed, as his tail goes by you hooked him... I've heard of it happening, seen it too when fishing clear water... its easier to do that to a catfish cause of the lack of scales as opposed to other species like carp

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Uh Oh, I smell a new fishing catagory, probly new rigs, rigging, lures, etc.
    Right now there is one of you going, "Umm" Yup here it comes, personal best tail hooked.....

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    You just aint right Gary....lol.

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the catch Krause.

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Good Job!! I'll take luck over skill anyday:big_smile:

11. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Iffen ya hadn't said ya had him hooked in the tail, he wouldda just been caught....... Ain't no tellin how many kitties I've caught that were just wrapped up in my line, It just happens...catchin is catchin....Ice chest don't know it was foul hooked. Keep up the good work....

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have snagged fish that way too a couple of times. I have kept them to eat. Don't call the law, but in Mo., a fish must be hooked in the mouth or jaw, or it is cosidered to be a snagged fish. Since you can't snag game fish, they must be returned to the water immediatly. I understand why it's that way, and I don't understand at the same time. Is it that way in other states too? Has anyone got a ticket for it?

13. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Around here, I think that they call that alternative method.lol.

14. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have caught several cats on crappie jigs before. My biggest one was about 5 pounds.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    in Minnesota, they got to be hooked in the mouth, all snagged fish got to be released immediately. My brother in law got a nice size one last summer, it had a crappie fly in its mouth.

16. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Yes sir Matt I have gotten a ticket for it and all i did was take a picture with the fish. The Conservation Agent saw me catch it,(while in a bona fide tournament) catch it, get a couple pictures taken, and haul him back to the hole that i initailly hooked him in and release him, it was about a 7lb walleye, and i hooked him with while reeling in my bait to move, i too hooked him in the tail and the fight was on. The agent saw me catch him, unhook him, take the pictures, then came over to write the ticket and see that i had released the fish. I did get out of having to pay the ticket because the judge said that since i released the fish no harm was done.

BTW the judge also got to keep one of the pictures of my walleye for a keep sake of one of the easiest trials he ever had.

17. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well half the time I can't catch them in the mouth let alone the a/s. Thats talent man .

18. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Good stuff!!:smile2:

19. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    There are people that snag fish in the Arkansas river.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice story I have "snagged fish" in weird places also.