My copycat River Anchors

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here is my version of Marty's (and others), river anchors. I hope these hold and I REALLY hope I can retrieve 'em.

I made a spare. Weights are 29.1 lbs and 27.9 lbs respectively.

Now I am out of lead, send free lead to darryl1. :smile2:

That was a crapload of lead.:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Them anchors will work awesome!! Cuz has one almost identical to it that Vince made. I think their anchors only weigh 16lbs though. It will stop that Big Daddy dead in it's tracks. Plus, the good thing it you ain't out a bunch of $$$$$ if you lose one.:wink:

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    You made some really big mushroom anchors... too bad they'll most likely be lost in the river...:confused2:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats what I am kinda figuring too Albert, but several locals here swear by this design. Seems snaggy to me.:eek:oooh:

Hey, I'll try anything once or twice.

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois

Can't wait to hear the report on the anchors. And the 2nd one could come in handy for a sinker when the waters up!! :tounge_out:

6. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    every one I know that fishes the big rivers alot has one. most of them seem to be around 30#s. I havent heard of any problems

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Or when some moron ties off to your boat while at anchor :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:and the strain is too much for your rope and it breaks!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

You guys needed a new rope and anchor anyways, right Dan? right Mike?

You guys ain't still sore 'bout a little ol rope and cheesy anchor are you?:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I havnt lost my, uhhh hmmmm excuse me, Vince's :smile2: anchor in two months of a constant beating. It grabs in rocks, sand, silt, willow branches, etc. I've gotten it back everytime. There has been a handfull of times I didnt have the strength to pull it up myself with it hung in the rocks, and RiverRat wasnt in my boat, so a quick couple loops around a cleat, and 1/4 throttle on the 225 yamaha popped it up right away.

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, I have the 16" Anchorlift buoy that is supposed to raise an anchor up to 60 lbs. I am hoping it takes care of the HEAVY work most of the time.:crazy:

What does yours..... er Vince's weigh Cuz? Sounds like it works for you. As stated mine are both near 30 lbs.

I am hoping I can anchor now in some of those soft-bottomed holes where I used to just drag through. PLUS, get back out of the hole when I am ready to leave.:smile2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Your going to LOVE that anchor bouy. Learn to use it safely, and it makes hauling an anchor in a one handed affair merely to lay some line in the boat and lift the anchor and ball into the boat. I used Harold Dodds for an entire day and I'm sold. The biggest threat of this system is getting careless and getting slack line wrapped around the prop. Just tie the anchor line off on a cleat where its in sight at all times and drive up the river. The ball will be just barely under the water as it rips down the anchor line. Keep driving upstream until the anchor ball pops back up. At this point the anchor has released from the bottom, keep driving a little more until you see the anchor ball "jump" and and sit a little lower in the water. This indicates the anchor is at the ball, and all you have to do is lay the slack line in the boat, and lift the ball and anchor right into the boat. Its SOOOOo easy, a cave man can do it. Like Kutter.!:wink::big_smile::big_smile:

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thats going to hold you any where Darrly. Pull your pampers up when you gotta retrieve it . Motor over the top and :misdoubt: You will never buy a store bought one again....

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOL, I already know how to use the gawl-dang buoy Cuz.

Now..... again, what does your anchor weigh?

And does it do the trick. Where does it NOT do the trick etc.....

Real-life stuff please...... pretty please.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You wuss-why didn't you just hold on to the rebar?:smile2:

You're too high tech for us westies!

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

I think it weighs 22 pounds or something like that, and YES it does the trick. It does the trick always. There hasnt been a time it hasnt done the trick, unless I was trying to anchor at a dam in flood conditions, then it didnt do the trick. I really like it when my anchor does the trick, and dont like it when it doesnt do the trick. You will find that the photos you pictured of your anchors will do the trick 99.9% of the time. Of course, the trick is getting river rat to fish with you so he can flex his muscles and do the pull the anchor up for you trick. :smile2: That would be a great trick. Now, if I could convince Mrs. Cuz to do the trick every time, I'd be a happy camper. :smile2::wink:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    REBAR HOT DOUG, REBAR HOT!!!!!

16. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Even the welding gloves get a little hot!

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Darryl.. or any of the rest of us.. Try this next time you make it.. I took a nail and bent it for the picture to show the top design mainly. This serves with several purposes. When you have the chain on it, The chain will Go to the top of the P and slam it down into mud and sand giving you a better hold. Then to get it loose, If you dont have River Rat with ya that is.. Hook it like Cuz wrote about and run up river with your engine.

I also like this design as it gives you sometype of a handle to hold onto when throwing it. Like throwing up on a rock bar and hooking behind one, you can control the throwing of it much better with the handle like it is designed here. Somewhere in here, I think I wrote one on it and making the mold using a smaller soccer ball into concrete or grout as a mold..

Good luck and hope this helps..

Attached Files:

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh yeah....Question??

Chain or no chain on this type?

I am thinking no chain because its heavy enough. LOL

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No chain is necessary. I had six feet of chain on mine, and I felt my muscles were big enough, so I removed the chain and it still works great. Of course, If I wanted to look like river rat, I might add the chain at a later date. :wink:

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Over here on the west coast we use similar anchors, and with 25-30 lbs of weight (in the sinister current of the Missouri), no chain is required.