My contribution to my niece's senior project....a story about my life.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

SONG STORIES...........One of my earliest and fondest musical memories involves the great outdoors. I loved to be outside. I LOVE to be outside. My mother's parents had an old school bus, converted into a camper. My grandfather did the work himself. There were still a few seats and two single beds on both sides of the aisle. The summer I was five we took a camping trip to Julian Price Memorial Park in the Appalachian Mountains. Going to the ampitheatre each evening was a thrill for me. There I learned songs every child should be able to enjoy: "The Bear Went Over the Mountain", "My Bonnie", and "You Are My Sunshine". To keep me occupied during the day, Gran decided that she and I should make a leaf booklet. When your grandmother is a very creative kindergarten teacher there's always something to do! We collected every sort of leaf to be found, plus a couple of wildflowers. Daisies I think. Later that afternoon along came Grandaddy with a BIG brown trout. At that time it was the largest one ever caught out of Price Lake. That record stood for several years until a twelve-year-old boy broke it. The park ranger happened to be a young woman. She'd come to photograph Grandad with his fish and record the pertinent information. Afterward she boarded the bus and we shared our special project. That day I learned not to pick the flowers. At least NOT on the Blue Ridge Parkway!
    In 1973 "The Sound of Music" was rereleased in theaters. My parents loved musicals and this one topped their list. After all, it did win the best picture Oscar in 1965, right? When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always go......downtown, to the Carolina theater. Wow! I thought Julie Andrews was amazing! Evidently I liked female British singers. (Petula Clark, another Briton, recorded "Downtown".) While doing some online research I learned that many people believe that one of the songs featured in the movie, "Edelweiss", is an authentic Austrian folk song. In actuality it was written for the musical. I was struck once again by the GENIUS of Rodgers and Hammerstein.
    When I was a bit older I befriended a younger girl named Penny. Her family lived next door to my paternal grandparents. Penny's mother regularly whipped her with a record player cord. The welts were long and red and sometimes took days to heal. This girl was retarded. She loved music and lived to sing. I taught her my song repertoire. She taught me to love unconditionally. It was the first time I realized what an impact an abusive environment can have on a person's development, mentally impaired or otherwise.
    So as you can see, song stories are the stories of my life, of everyone's lives. CAN YOU SPEAK A WORD that does not begin a certain lyric, recall a relative topic, or revive a special memory? And oh yes, about those sappy old traditional songs; I sing them to this day. And I still camp. Catgirl

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    tanya...you are something else girl

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wonderful story Tanya! Music does infact interact with many things in our lives. Truth be told, I actually did enjoy the Sound of Music when I had to go to it on a 4th grade "field trip." :big_smile:

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I walk through the garden alone.......while the dew is still on the ro-ses, and the voice I hear.....falling on my ear.....the Son of God disclo-o-ses. And....He.....walks with me, and He talks with me.....and He tells me I am His own......And the joy we share, as we ta-ry there.....none other, has ever, known. Good song, John. This was my great-grandmother's favorite hymn, she requested it for her funeral.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I just realized that we both got that first line wrong, John. It's "I come to the garden alone...." 2nd verse: He speaks and the sound of His voice......is so sweet the birds hush their sing-ing.....and the me-lo-dy, that He gave to me.....With-in, my heart, is ri-i-ng-ing....And...He....walks with me and He talks, with me....and He tells me I am His own.....and the joy we share as we ta-ry there.....non other, has ever, known. 3rd verse: I'd stay in the garden with Him....Though the night around me be fall-ing....but He bids me go....Thro' the voice of woe....His voice to me, is ca-al-ling....and....He...walks with me and He talks, with me....and He tells me I am His own.....and the joy we share, as we ta-ry there....non other, has ever, known. I'm gonna be singing this all afternoon now. :smile2:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yes John, I have heard the story of how "Amazing Grace" came to be, but it was nice to read it again. :smile2:

7. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    That is a nice story you have told there. I can't wait to hear more. I love reading life stories. I just started writing my auto biography.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thank you Matthew, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You'll have to post some of your writing one day too.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Great story! More!

10. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    thats a nice story...

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Now this is a great story Tanya. Thanks for sharing, it is great to see ya open up a little. Now if we could just get an Avatar up, we would be doing great.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    She will break, they all do. hehehe

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

NOT ME. I'm unbreakable. :big_smile: hehehe

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I love all the old country gospel also. My mom's favorite group was, The Chuckwagon Gang, I have about 75 songs on the puter here of them.

15. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Awwww Tanya...ya don't have to break to put up an Avatar...just bend a little...LOL.....seriously though, that was a great story, thanks for sharing it with us.:big_smile:

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Great post Tanya, I love music and it is good for the soul.

17. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hey, Tanya. That was an awesome post! I ain't ever been much for playin' music, but I can play the radio like no one has ever seen... lol. And what happened to Penny was a terrible thing. And what you done for her showed your true character. Proud of ya, buddy!

-Red

18. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have an xm radio and there are some really good channels Blue grass,folk , classic some realstory telling music