MY CIRCLE HOOK REVIEW

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am new to using circle hooks, and i will keep using them for most situations from now on. I bought a few packs of circle hooks, all gamagatzu, i bought some of the Octo Inline Circles and the Octo Circle hooks. the Octo Circles have an offset point to shaft where as the Octo inline hooks have an inline point in correlation to the shaft. After taking both kinds of hooks out I have decided that circle hooks for a majority of my applications are going to be the way to go. However i will not be using the inline circle hooks. i found that my hook up rate was close to double if not more with the offset point. i very much excepted this from my knowledge and findings with J hooks. the offset point allowed me much better hook ups with the J hooks also. However i am still getting used to circle hooks and some of the does and don'ts that go along with them. I feel that when i master them, i will have a much higher hook up rate than with J hooks. the only problem i ran into today, that i dont feel will be a regular issue, was that the fish were tending to run toward me making hooking them difficult with the circle hooks. one of my favorite things about the circle hooks are that when a fish takes a short run and i am tight lining, they tend to hook themselves, even when i am only using a bait clicker with the bail open. A lot of times when i am bank or boat fishing, i will have 4+ rods in the water, so when a short strike occurs a lot of times i am to far away/to slow to set the j hook. with the circle hook this is no longer a problem. over all i give the circle hook a 9 on a scale of 1-10.

i think that the next hook i give a try will be the double action circle hook. i would like to hear some of the advantages to it vs the offset circle hook. also i would love to hear some of your advice/tips on using circle hooks and reviews of circle hooks.

tight lines,

Jeremy

2. Tony Long

Tony Long New Member

State:
    Glasgow,Ky
    I have just started using circle hooks in the past month,and my only regret is not trying them before now...I have used the same snelled J hooks for years but after seeing how my catch to miss ratio increased i am pretty sure that i will stay with the circle hooks unless something drastic changes...I'm really glad i gave them a try,and i would encourage anyone else who misses as much as they hook up to give them a try!!!They really helped my hook up ratio a lot...I prefer to tight line fish,and all i do is watch for the tip of my rod to move and when it does i just start reeling and there already hooked...I'm sold on them!!

3. festus

festus New Member

Has anyone ever used the Eagle Claw Laser Sharp circle hooks? I found some at Wallyworld yesterday, that's the only brand they had. They didn't have much of a selection, only 3/0, 4/0, and 5/0. I bought the biggest.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i havent used them, however if thats all they had i would try them on some fish and see what i thought. if i were you though i would check the local bait shop they are bound to have some bigger ones....

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Tony. Been using them the last couple of years. Haven't fished any thing else. Thinking about down sizing and trying them on crappie this winter.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've used the Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu, and Daiichi (Team Catfish) and they all work great.

I'll say that the Eagle Claw aren't the sharpest of the bunch but I've used them out of the box with no modification and they are more than sharp enough.

I'm going to order some different models and sizes of the Eagle Claw hooks to try. The main reason being that the hooks are still made in America. It's so hard to find American made gear and terminal tackle today that I try to use it when I can find it. I wish more reels and rods were made in the USA too. (I know, I know, Avet's are USA, but I won't shell out that much money on a reel for catfishing.)

7. Tony Long

Tony Long New Member

State:
    Glasgow,Ky
    Yes i have Festus...I bought them at wallyworld and i bought the three&the five ought...I have only used the 3 ought so far..they are without a dought the best hooks i have ever used!!!

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the silver eagle claws like at walmart arent near as good as the black e.c. oct circles they are sharper and stay sharper almost comparably sharp to gammas :wink:

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc

Eagle Claw is the only hook I've been using for 3 years straight. I realize some higher dollar hooks may be sharper but I cant see changing to a sharper hook if I'm not missing fish. So if they work for ya use em, I assure you that you can catch just as many fish as any other hook can....or at least I can ; )

-Jim-

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    The only concern that I have ever had with any kind of Eagle Claw hooks is the diameter of the wire and it's breaking strength. Personally I have never had an Eagle Claw hook break off while fighting a fish, but they have snapped in the unhooking process. Just a word of caution.

Ray

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have and they are dull !!!!!!!!!!! I have caught fish on them but they are dull out of the pack

12. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I just ordered 40 7/0 eagle claw kahle hooks to try out on some flats hopefully before winter:wink:

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I know that you can catch fish on a dull hook, but i have found that the sharper the hook the better the hook up rate. thats why i go with Gamagatzu's i haven't found a hook much sharper than them. the fish seem to hook themselves with very little extra pressure and after all thats what we are after. if they feel the pressure of a circle or any other hook before they are starting to be hook then they have a chance to get off. Also the Gama's are made of high strength/high quality metal and i have yet to find a fish that can break one.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

seems like the gap is clsoed too much on those...ive got a few in my box i dont plan on using any more..i like the gams though..just dont know how to use them properly..i forget and set the hook too much

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles are the GREATEST hooks since sliced bread. In other words, they are the cat's meow!!!!

:wink::smile2::wink::smile2::wink::smile2::cool2::smile2::wink::smile2::wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yep and the offset octopus circles have had a great hookup ratio for me this year:wink:

17. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have used em, after i sharpened them and they work just fine.

Bill.

18. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I've been using the Eagle Claw Seaguard circles for several years now in 3/0 for cut bait and smaller live baits. They work great and have an offset hook point. With channel cats I very seldom ever miss a fish, flatheads are another matter altogether, I'm still missing flats on the circles.

19. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Jim,
    I've been using the 6/0 kahles for several years and they work great, just make sure you sharpen them first. They are sharp enough out of the pack for channels but I had trouble sinking the hook into flats until I sharpened them. That bottom jaw on a flathead is alot tougher than that on a channel.

20. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I still have some of those and some Team catfish hooks in my box too just an experiment if I like em I might be using more of them:wink: