My Cattoon Project 1

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Dragger, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It all started like this. I always wanted the perfect catfish boat so I began to think about what that boat should be like.
    I knew it had to have plenty of room on board where my family and I could enjoy It.So I thought about a pontoon boat so last April 2005 I began to look for and old toon that was sound enought to restore.I found what I was looking for in Marion N.C.so I borrowed a toon trailer and went and brought her home.When I got it home and began to look her over she was a sorry site to see. I began to wonder if I had lost my mind.Because all I had for 1500 dollars was two toons and a ragged old worn floor. Then I began to remove the old carpet.Once the carpet was gone I could see that the wood was in fair condition.Then I turned to the stained pontoon. I knew I had a hard job ahead of me cleaning the scum off the toons.With all this at hand I knew I had to have a trailer just so I could move it around while I was rebuilding it.So I began to build a pontoon trailer.I bought all the metal for the frame and axels.I also bought four new tires and rims and a trailer hitch.I still needed tail light wiring fenders.So I rounded up all the materials and began to built that dream.Soon the trailer was finished .Now it was time to restore the old toon the way I wanted it.First of all I remove the old stain from the toons and it began to look better to me.Next I loaded the toons on the new trailer now it was mobil. Next I sanded the floor to remove all of the old glue from the old carpet.Then I bought new outdoor carpet and glued it in place. Now things began to take shape. Next I built the Lady's a rest room . Next I built the canopy and a 27 gallon fuel tank and the tank enclosure.Next I built all the aluminum railing. It took a lot of time to weld it all together.Then I rivoted all the sheet metal in place. It took over 1200 rivots.Then I built rod holders all around the toon.Then I installed a 90 hp Mercury motor on board.This is not the whole story. Maybe I can finish it later. Project was finishened Feb 1st of 2006.I got some pics I will upload of start and finish product. I will have to do another tread to show all the pics.

Dragger :grin-big: :thumbsup:

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here are the rest of the pics.

Dragger:0a23:

Attached Files:

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The did not up load on the first post.

Attached Files:

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man you've been busy. It looks very nice.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very nice work Dragger
    Sure enjoyed reading how you transformed her into your own Cattoon.
    Thats a lot of work and youve done a great job. Enjoy the new rig!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wooo hooo, another pontoon fisherman! I have one too!

One piece of advice, but the biggest drift sock you can find. On a windy day you will need it!! I fished today, but I should have stayed home. 15-20 mph winds made it near impossible to fish, even with the drift sock. I was actually running the trolling motor in reverse to slow it down!!

You will love the room and the stability in rought water. It will spoil you having so much space to move around in.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Lovely just lovely. That is really a nice setup.

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    WylieCat.... Thanks for the good compliments on my toon. i know about the drift socks, and the wind , i fish with a life long friend who is a very well known guide at santee , we have found that one drift sock in the wind at santee will not work . We use two, six foot socks one on the front, one on the rear, A 20 to 22 mph wind is about the limit, I have fished wylie all my life, from the time i was a minnow, we had a place on the south fork for 35 years, see you on the lake this spring............ thanks and may the good lord take a likeing to you.....................

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thanks Dragger, Nice job on the toon. I have a 85 play craft I'm going to start working on. If it turns out as good as your's I'll be real happy.

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Many thanks RIP Im glad my project is behind me now, its took about nine months,but it was a lot of fun and a lot of work . time to go fishing now . Dont give up on yours it just takes time and before you know it youll be done..... hope you enjoy it............thanks again.......................................

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Spoonfish thanks for the good comments , i plan to enjoy it alot, were going to try and wear it out , hope we wear it out more fish than boat....good luck this year on your fishing ,,be safe , god bless..............

12. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I would like to comend you on a job well done hope you and yours enjoy the fine Cattoon. I hope to get mine finished by the end of summer.I did not get to go fishing Saturday. My son had to work.Lady Ace and I worked on the old pontoon. :thumbsup:

Ace :cat:

N.C.

13. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you did a really good job man. was a dimond in the rough at first now look at it shine. really nice job

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hey dragger, how did you rig that front drift sock? Do you just drop it down between the pontoons? I had thought about that, but I kinda got worried that it might snag up or something as it went side to side. I had even thought about two off the back, but that just looks like a mess looking for a place to happen!!

Let me know when you are on Wylie again. I can always use some advice from the more experienced catters out there!!

15. Rickb6959

Rickb6959 New Member

State:
    Clayton NC
    My next boat will be a Toon. You have got me to thinking maybe i need to retire my bass boat and use my 48 HP motor and get me a fixer up,:cool:

16. Tarheel Cat1

Tarheel Cat1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Now that the cattoon is finished,when we gonna wet a hook.

Tarheel Cat1 :0a37: :0a19: :0a23: :happy: :0a22: :0a26: :grin-big: :thumbsup:

17. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    LindA Just as soon as i can get my ducks in a row. want be long , i have to build a top for a cattoon boat first, for 2 SPECIAL FRIENDS:) :0a24:

18. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    These 2 special friends appreciate it too.Sure hate you didn't get to see me last night.:0a31:

Tarheel Cat1

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice boat you did an outstanding job.