My catfish set-up..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 20, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    Shakespear Tiger Spincast Rod and Reel
    20 lbs test
    2-5 oz egg and bank weights
    Kale Hooks and Circle and J hooks
    12 in. 90 lbs leader ( 3 30 lbs braided )

2. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    My set up: Zebco 808 Magnum Reel w/ 20lb Cajun Red line, 6'6" M-H Ugly Stik Rod, w/ 1-1/2oz flat sinker, and a 18" 50lb leader tied to a 4/0 Kahle hook. Whew, all said in one breath.

3. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    lol

anyone else want to share?? or even pics??

4. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where I fish there are always alot of snags that can cause a hang. I've always had a smaller poundage leader than the main line so if I hung and had to break off it would always break below the swivel saving my weight. Why do you guys use a larger leader?

5. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I use a 50lb leader and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems. I have been pretty lucky though and haven't lost anything and I do alot of bottom fishing on the river. When I am checking my bait I give it a real good yank (like I'm trying to set the hook) and then reel it in. I have gotten it snagged a couple of times but what I do is let some slack in the line and bounce it up and down, left and right, and my guess is that with the weight on it that it bouces all over and then it comes lose and I then reel it in. Doing that I probably scare all the fish around the area too.

6. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Berkley Glowsticks 8' Medium heavy with Abu 6500 and 6600 rocket. And Uglystick catfish 7' MH with Abu 6000. I use 30lb spiderwire stealth and all of them, including the leader. Usually don't have too much trouble with hangs ups, but when I do I usually end up snipping of and losing it all. If I get into an area that I'm bound to snag up, I go to a lighter leader.