My catfish are dying more by the minute

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by chelsea, Jul 24, 2007.

1. chelsea

chelsea New Member

State:
    california
    in the last 48 hrs we have lost about 19 catfish in my uncels pond we dont know why they are dieing the juvinile fish are fine but the older ones are droping like flies bigiest first. could you please help if you have any ideas of what this could possobly be its a well water pond that has never had any chemicals used in it at all i just dont know why they are all dieing just please if you have any ideas please help thank you chelsea

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Get in touch with the local Agriculture Extension office. It should be under a county listing in the phone book.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had a pond die out two years ago. 6 lb catfish, bluegill, snail crackers, largemouth bass, grass carp. Mine was an algae bloom from aerating the pond. The shore looked like a snow storm from a distance, with dead fish. You are probably up the proverbial creek unless you can get some oxygen into it, esp if your water is green.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In this heat your pond is probably "turning over" commonly starves out all the oxgen at lower levels. Most of time nothing can be done except pray for rain and cooler weather. My favorite bass hole had this happen and I wanted to sit down and cry when I saw all the floating bass!:too_sad:

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if it is well fed then you are prob. lacking oxygen. I would try to get some kind of large pump to circulate the water to try to put some oxygen in it.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If it's lacking oxygen and/or too hot, get a large pump and sprayer to spray the water up into the air, then falls back into the pond. That will put oxygen into the water, and the evaporation will also cool it. I've used a similar, much smaller rig like that for years on my portable bait tanks.