my catches...no pics yet

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by River_monster91, Nov 17, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well got my connibear sitiation fixed. got my first coon, went this morning and got a skunk, and yesterday managed a muskrat. had a coon in the cubbyset, but all i got of him was a toe. sold my coon he was an xl for 12bucks and sold a buddys large coon for 8 dollars. aint sold the muscrat or the skunk yet. going back in the morning before school and ill get some pics.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Glad to hear you finally got that coon. I havent set any traps yet. Hope to get some set on thursday.

3. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    wish you the best of luck

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats, thanks for posting. I always thought it would be fun to have a trap line, but never got motivated enough to do it.

5. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    went this morning and my buddy had a double foothold set and in it he had one of the biggest coons id ever seen. the coon was DOA and i pulled it outa the water and noticed one of the back legs was gone. well we got to lookin and notices the missing leg was in one of the footholds and one of the fronts was in the other foothold. any idea if this will decrease the value of the coon? ill get some pics before we sell.

6. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    good morning for possums i guess. i ended up catching 2 and my buddy got 1. crazy thing is the first one i got in a 160 duke conibear threw him in the back of my truck went and checked the others got home looked in the back of my truck and he was GONE!!! got to looking the sucker was still a live and he was under my toolbox. had to get a shovel and get him outa there and kill him. :cool2:

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I've had the same thing happen with possoms in 220's somehow they get their heads turned just enough to keep breathing. I know a guy who used to catch coyotes with 330's. I'm not sure if it was legal then, but he said that they would get their heads turned enough to stay alive too. He was keeping them for hunting with dogs later.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You shouldn't be penilized much if any for the loss of the leg ... just becareful how you stretch it and trimm it a little if need be to make it even ... Garry-

9. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    went out this morning and you will never believe what i caught!!! a whole lotta nothing!!!:confused2: got up this mornin and the temp. was 15 degrees. didnt even have a trap set off. i guess yesterday morning i got another dang skunk but other than that its been kinda slow.

10. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    garry, i dont skin them. i sell them on the carcass. skinning takes alot of patience and practice and i aint got neither lol. anyway heres a few pics of what we got this past week

Attached Files:

11. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    heres a few more. that second pic is a baby coon caught in my foothold, its the 3rd one over in the full sized pic

Attached Files:

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I used to not skin mine either, but I realized how much money I was losing doing that, so I had to learn. All it takes is a sharp knife and some time.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Donnie,It isnt a matter of patientce,Its getting the most money for the time invested,as well as showing off how proud you are of your ability as a trapper and fur handler. You try it a few times,see the results and ,I'll bet you find the time to skin and streach every one you catch. Congrats on the take so far .

14. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    sounds like your having a good time donnie! good luck! that is some nice coons!

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You are doing good Donnie .... keep up the good work .... Garry-

16. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    got a skunk this morning. found a badger hole and set a conibear by it.