My Cat-tastic boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tmuenster, Nov 18, 2005.

1. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I just bought an old US Navy Boston Whaler and I am planning to turn her in a real catboat. She is 22’ long and has a lot of room for landing big cats. It was made by Brunswick Boats, the commercial division of Boston Whaler, and has a super thick fiberglass hull. These babies are ultra heavy duty- five times thicker than a recreational boat hull. I posted the specs on my website at http://www.navcraft.com/whaler/ if you would like to know more. This is going to be a great winter project. Can’t wait to get started.

Any suggestions for new motors? I think I will keep the twin setup as I like the extra reliability and the excellent maneuverability. I am thinking about Evinrude E-Tec 90s. Good power and decent fuel economy. Another option would be twin Yamaha 115hp. Nice power but not quite as good on the fuel. Anyone looking for a used Johnson 70? They told me it was running recently but I have not run it myself.

How about names? I would like to combine the catfish theme and the Navy. How about NavCat? Cavy?

Tom

Attached Files:

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    nice lookin boat!!!

Keep us up to date on the progress!

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    great boat, tom.....and i am a navy fan too! :D

let me know when you get it ready, and i'll bring a bottle of wine to christen it :)

you ARE going to invite me to go fishing with you, right? :0a10:

all kidding aside, i like that boat... that is what i am looking for - i have a 115hp chrysler i'd let you have quite reasonably for it

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    how bout squidcat lol

dusty
    U.S.M.C ALUMNI

5. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Tom, welcome to the great BOC. That's a very nice project cat boat. I see you pulling in the big blues with this one! :)

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Nice boat, Sir. I bet you will have a great time in that Bad Boy !

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Great looking boat. It sure looks like an all around fishable boat. Two 90s or 115s What a ride that would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    That does look like one heck of a boat. Deffinetly can get out on any of the big rivers in it. Be sure to post pics of it when you have it ready to take out fishing. Something that big I would have to name it, The Slip Cat, due to never being able to afford the gas for it so it would just have to sit in the slip. lol Dick

9. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great boat, that will be just the ticket for cattin!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Two engines are nice but double the expense to buy, double the maintenance costs, more fuel, more drag, and more weight.
    Chances are if you bust one skeg or prop running a river you will bust both.
    If I were running it offshore most everyday in saltwater and chartering I would have 2 engines mainly because Seatow or any towing service gets expensive fast and you want to maintain customer relations by getting them back to the dock at a reasonable time. BUT I would also have two completely seperate fuel systems.
    Common engine problems are fuel related, so if you have a fuel problem and both engines not running on the fuel or fuel system, you might as well have had one engine.

There would only really be one benefit in the situation of catfishing for having two engines and that would be a readily available parts store. If your problem isnt fuel related atleast you could use one motor as a parts house to try to get one of the two running. But then you got two motors to fix when you get home instead of one.

Thats a nice hull to do something with. Have fun with it.

A more cost wise approach would be one main engine and a kicker if you are worried more about just getting there and back. There again, two seperate fuel systems would apply.

I've seen kickers that were neatly stored in a space just for them below the cockpit sole and those permantly mounted on the transom.

11. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nice hull to work with. Nice wide gunnels for Driftmaster rod holders.

For dependablity and fuel-efficiency, there's nothing better than a Honda outboard. Suzuki is a close second. I would certainly go the 4-stroke route.

12. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Catfish Brethren,

Thanks for all the great advice. Dusty, I like your suggestion of naming her SquidCat. It means that much more coming from a Marine! Semper Fi! Dick, I also like your logic with SlipCat and the concern about fuel. You have to pay to play in my opinion so I don’t mind spending what it takes to get out on the river. Some guys gamble, some drink, and I like boats.

My last boat was a RiverPro. Really an excellent craft. It is the best boat for most river applications and I will have another one. I am planning to use this boat for extended river expeditions and on the big reservoirs of South Dakota. Two years ago I took my RiverPro from Yankton, SD to Memphis, TN. Over 1200 miles and we camped and fished the Cats the whole way. It was a blast! I can’t wait to make the trip in this Boston Whaler. With a 77 gallon tank it will have quite a range. My RiverPro only had a 19 gallon tank so we refueled a lot.

Mark, I think your comments about twin engines are excellent. I would add a couple of other benefits of twin engines. They would allow for a shallower draft, I could use 20” shafts versus a single 25” on this hull. I also love the way a boat tracks and turns with twins. The twins can also help with maneuvering. You can spin a twin powered boat around within its own length. You get a much better hole shot with twins but the top end speed is lower compared to a single. Twins are definitely more expensive to maintain. You can also buy more horsepower per dollar with a single. I would argue about the fuel efficiency however. There are some circumstances where twins get better mileage. The other reason I am going with twins is the boat is set up for them. All the controls and cables are there as are the holes in the transom for mounting the engines. I have always wanted a twin engine boat and the additional cost is not a big concern.

Knox, I have looked at the Hondas and been on a test ride. They are awesome engines. So quiet it is hard to tell if they are running. My goal is to get close to the max hp on this whaler. It is rated for 240 hp. Twin 4 strokes would be way too heavy as the boat is rated for 720 lbs max. I really like the Evinrude E-Tecs. They are great on fuel and use less oil per hour than a four stroke. They also self winterize which is a huge benefit. My only question is whether to use the 90 hp or go up to the 115/130 hp. A set of 130’s would weigh 738 lbs would is 18 lbs over the rated max, which would be acceptable since I am going to locate the batteries in the center console instead of the splash well. Anyone out there using an E-Tec?

It is going to be a long winter waiting to catch some more cats but this should be a fun project. Thanks again for all the great advice.

Tom

13. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That will be a nice cat boat, congrats.

14. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    The E-tec's are great engines...undoubtedly the best 2-stroke on the market. Twin 115 Honda's would be nearly a thousand pounds on the transom...might be a bit too much.

Keep us posted on the project. You're gonna have a great boat when you're done.

15. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    Dusty, I like your suggestion of naming her SquidCat. It means that much more coming from a Marine! Semper Fi! Dick,

tom that made my day u know i had to screw with you about the navy because of the bond the navy and marine corps has those to are the only branches that have such a close nitt relationship that none of the other branches have

well i am truly impressed with your bad @$$ navcatter well best of luck with ur project

16. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Tom, Nice water craft! I used the Boston Whalers here in Oklahoma for water rescue. I wasn't concerned about any water condition. They are tops for taking big waves and and rough conditions. Yours is going to have a lot of room. I agree with you on the twins, they have a huge advantage on manueverability over th singles. Like you said, you got to pay to play! The trip you described would be a blast. I canoed from Shawnee, OK. to Lake Eufaula. Not near the mileage you did but it was a blast. Look forward to the pictures after you get it fixed up. Good Luck, Brian

P.S. What did you do with the Johnson 70?

17. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Brian,

I still have the Johnson 70. I know that I will most likely go with new twin engines so I will not need the 70. Any clue as to what it would be worth? They told me it was running when they took the boat out of service but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Your canoe trip sounds like a blast. It is a very peaceful way to travel. I would love to take a long canoe trip sometime.

Thanks,
    Tom

18. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Tom, I don't know right now but I will get with a company tomoorow and see what they say. I sure would be interested if we can work something out. I have a JOhnson 70 on my pontoon right now. Could always use a spare!

The canoe travelling is a blast. Can't be in ahurry though! Plan on doing it again this year, if we ever get some rain!! Look forward to meeting you sometime and be careful. I will holler again when I get some figures..

Brian

19. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Sorry Tom, What year is the motor? You can send me a PM..Thanks again.

20. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    You have mail. Thanks for your response