my buddy is now my apprentice for flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigpapa15206, Sep 20, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Remember my post about "my buddys first flathead" well i took him out yesterday and decided to make him my "apprentice" and teach him all i know because he is the only buddy i ever took who seems truly willing to learn. well anyway were sitting at my spot and he gets a bight. "fish on i yell" i see that 6'6" medium action spinning rod darn near bend in half, so i tell him to loosen the drag and that thing took off and ran for like 7 min before we started to gain any line back. the whole time im coachin him "loosen the drag","pump slow",dont reel against the drag","take tour time, relax" so after about a 10 min battle he gets this thing to the top and all i can say is WOW! I take over and drag him around the wall to the shore. I go down and step into the water to grab him and SNAP goes the 8# TEST! I run into the water and grab the beast. I walk him up the wall and ..........36# 43" flathead on 8# test. not bad for a rookie not to mention his second flat ever (first was an 8#) and he thought that was big. I will post pics when i get them developed.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    This is one of the good ones. passing on fishing traditions.
    Cool thing bigpappa, keep up the good work.

3. Bank Catter

Bank Catter New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    36# Flat on 8 lb test? You're a darn good coach and he's a good listener!

Love to hear guys actually having to fight and finesse a fish instead of just winching them up with super heavy duty tackle. Had to be fun! I'm not good enough to handle fish that size with less than say 17lb test and a beefier spinning reel.

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    That would make you his mentor! Keep up the good work and congratulate him from the Brothers!! Good Luck Fishin and keep reelin em in!! :)

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    tell him great fish!!!

and tell him to sign up for the BOC as Gilligan so we know he's yer lil buddy!!!

:p

6. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    yeah even though im only 19 and hes 22, ive been fishing all my life. my dad taught me and i will teach my children one day and so on. It was one of my proudest moments t hand him that fish. I know what you mean about just winching em in. this other guy didnt believe it was 8# stren mono, he was all inspecting it a stuff, lol.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice fish bigpapa! Your flirtin' with the state record with a lunker of that size! Another year or two and that fish will be of state record size! Awesome job on 8# test. That line had to be stretched to the very max! What did the brute hit on?

8. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    half a shad head! i had a whole white bass and 30# braid and i got a 10#er

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i took my buddy under my wing, (he was using a zebco 33 upside down fishing on a big river) and so far he's broke the ends off three of my poles 2 of another buddys pole, tore a hole in my throw net and lost one of chairs. he finally bought his own pole thank god.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Good Job, the best part he will always remember that time and always have what you taught him.

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Your doing a great job there, I bet he follows you around like a pup now , lol,
    It's a great feeling to help a buddy catch the fish of a life time. The BOC is proud to have ya as a Brother.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hard To Beat A Fast Learner And A Good Teacher

13. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Bigpapa, now he's hooked and you will have a willing partner for life.:)

Frank

14. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what a catch!

Can't wait to see the pics!