My boat won't idle all the time.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by goingfishin, Jan 2, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    First thing in the morning I don't usally have a problem but later on in the day when I start the boat up it will start with no problem but won't idol. I have to start it and immedatelly have to put it in gear. I don't have to put it full throttal but just in gear and it will stay running. Anybody have any idea whats going on?

2. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    yea! the same thing is going on in yours as it is in mine
    HELP

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I know almost nothing about outboard motors.

However, today, a Nissan service representitve told me that sometimes stale fuel clogs the idle circuit (the smallest circuit in the carb). This clogging can be helped by adding some Sea Foam to some fresh fuel and running the engine for a few minutes. Then let it set overnight, with the carb full of fuel, and then try running the motor.

May not pertain to your problem, but then again, it would appear that your problem has almost got to be fuel related...wouldn't it?

Bill

4. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    YEP , I AGREE WITH BILL SEA FOAM IS GREAT . IF I LEAVE MY BOAT ON THE TRAILER FOR MORE THAN A WEEK I USUALLY UNPLUG THE FUEL SUPPLY AND IDLE THE ENGINE UNTIL ITS OUT OF FUEL . THIS EMPTIES THE CARB BOWL TO PREVENT THE FUEL IN THE CARB FROM TURNING SOUR . GASOLINE HAS A SHELF LIFE OF 30 DAYS , SURE ITS STILL FLAMABLE BUT IT STARTS TO GROW A FUNGUS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT . THAT IS WHY FUEA STABILIZERS ARE POPULAR , TRY STABIL.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say Bill just about nailed it.

Now as for running it until the carbs are empty, that is a no no. If it has one carb maybe but two no way are you going to get them to run dry at the same time. That will give you a lean condition on one cylinder and it will eventually destory that one.

Check all your fuel lines while you are fooling with it also. How long has it been since you changed the plugs.

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    sea foam is a good idea on anything you use good for saveing big bucks o2 sensors and many other things i belive in sea foam

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You all better listen to Bubba on this one, especially on 2 strokes. I had raced 2 strokes for alot of years, in everything from bikes, 3 & 4 wheelers, mini sprints, and modified midgets running on eveything from pump gas to full blown race motors on methanol. You dont "EVER" want to lean out a 2 stroke. Bad things happen. You can burn a hole in a piston damn quick, stick one in a cylinder, scorch a head, scorch the rings. Its bad enough on a replacable clyinder configured motor, really bad when you have to buy a whole new block or power head, even worse when you have multiple cylinders.