My boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by douglas_413, May 10, 2006.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I decided to upgrade my 14" john boat from the plain to a custom boat that shoud serve most of my needs. I just wanted to here what you all think about it Sorry about the picks as they are not very good.

Attached Files:

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Looking good, Joseph. I like the large bait well.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice boat josef. I don't know what else you plan to do to it . You have a good foundation on which to start. I have rebuilt 3 boats , lot of work . I prefered doing it . that way i knew exactly what was in them . good luck

cat:0a23: ch ya later

4. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am sorry for the confusion. I have allready rebuilt it. It used to only have the bench style seats in it and I have added every thing else to it. The only thing that stinks is that I only have a 40lb thrust trolling motor and no outboard.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Don't Worry About What You Don't Have, Just Be Glad For What You Do Have. Everything Will Come In Due Time:confused2:

Have A Good Day, Elliot

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yea Joe, looks like the perfect little catfishin rig!

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey Joseph, nice job on the boat. Looks great!!!! I am thinking about a little customization on my 16' Jon. Tell me, what did you do in the area where your removed the bench seats? What size is you "live well"? Do you have the livewell rigged up with an aireator pump to fill and the bilge pump to drain and circulate water? What about floatation? Did you add any?

Oh yeah, like someone else said, don't worry about what you don't have, be thankful for what you do have. That's a good start to a great catboat.

8. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thats a sweet 14'r for sure dude. I love the bait cooler, I need to do something like that to ours. Can you give some more explaination of yer plumbing?

Thanks

Joe

9. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Joe,
    Did you remove the bench seats or just build around them?

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    OKAY, someone has to play the devil's advocate,and I seem to be good at it. I would suggest your and your fishing buddy take the boat somewhere into reasonable shallow water and do some tilt tests. Like how far in one direction can you both lean at the same time. The only reason I am stating this is that I saw a similar jon boat roll completly over, dumping the occupants into the Chicahominy River in February, when the outside air temp was 17 degrees. If your gonna get an education, get it in a controlled environment. lol

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    A boat like that would be perfect for me. I'd just add a bigger motor and some rods holders, but all things come in due time.

12. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i fish the strip pits here in southern indiana, some of them pits are small but very deep. it takes a small boat like that to fish them. good job on the things you've did to it. i'am known by family/friends to do the same thing but cant help selling them to make some money and do it all over.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Looks like a real nice job!

I do agree with aweshucks, especially with that front seat.
    I had a simular boat, with a 35 lb thrust motor on it.
    It almost threw me out of the boat when I had it aimed sideways and hit the button.

I used it on the kaw river quite a bit and I was always very concerned about what is going to happen when I caught that 50 + lber.
    I figured I would have to land it at the very back of the boat by the motor.
    2 people in the boat, 1 has to stay sitting for sure.
    No help to land a big fish.

Not tring to discourge you or anything as I know a guy has to get along with what he has sometimes, but I would urge caution if there is more than 1 person in that boat.

14. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    nice little upgrades without breaking the bank, i am working on an old runabout norris craft that i will post some pics of when i'm done its been fun so far and after cutting the deck off the front it just gets better.

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    looks good I really like the bait cooler

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Joseph, one other area of concern I have for your project... I believe you stated you removed the bench seats. I have always thought those seats were there to support the gunnels (sides) of the boat. If you removed them, did you add anything to stiffen the sides so the boat won't fold if you get into some heavy water? I know we never intend to take jon boats into these hazzardous conditions, but sometimes we all seem to find ourselves in one. Overall, I do like your boat, just want you to look at it from the tilting perspective and the stability perspective before you get so comfortable in it you start taking things for granted - thats when they will bite you.

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That looks good!
    Bill

18. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have tested it the stability. I have been fishing out of that boat since I was about 12 years old. I am very aware what I can do in it. I am confident enough to stand and fish anywhere in it and I can also walk in it without any problems. As for multiple people in it ussually other than me its just my wife. She sits mostly on the live well.

As for plumbing and othe details of the boat I will post pics and details later.

Also, about the bench seats, my boat is old enought that the seats are not riveted to the floor but only on the sides. When I installed the side panels it actually strengthened it and has lest twist, and wobble that before. I have all the confidence in the world. I don't mean to sound defensive but all of my friends doubted me and told me that I was ruining my boat, so I have tested, did research, and now I have the last laugh.

19. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool Boat !
    I'd like to have that deck up there.

I've got a 14' ... I put a board across the front gunwales and mounted a seat on it for a while...sure was some comfortable fishing.

Stripped it all off for duck hunting though.
    Just has the stock bench seats in it now.