My boat dog

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bill in SC, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Having raised literally thousands of registered and/or purebred hunting and bulldogs through the years, I can never recall having a mutt in my life. We live out in the country and someone dropped off a mangy pup about six months ago. It took us two days to catch her in the cotton fields. She was obviously abused, and mean as hell. Now at about seven months of age, she has come into her own, and become a fine dog. She is still full of spirit, and a great watchdog, boat dog, and companion. She is as smart as a whip! We call her Layla, and you'll be seeing her when I am around. BTW: I chose to make her a boat dog because she is not going to be a big dog, weighing in right now at 34 pounds of fighting fury! :) Post up your companions! Can anyone here spot the other animal in this pic? :)
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Looks like a whiskered animal curled up there? I am through with dogs for awhile. We had two Italian Greyhounds, of which my wife paid more for than I did my boat, and they are both now "with Jesus". That's what we tell our 3 year old. They were beautiful dogs and I enjoyed them, but not in my house. I would have a boat dog if I could keep it there, in the boat. I have stepped in too much *%@^ in my life to want more. I do have a Mack truck hood ornament from when they were building them in Winnsboro SC, maybe I will mount that on my boat.:wink::smile2::smile2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dogs are, and have always been a way of life for us, Jon. Our kids are grown and gone, though we had dogs during those times too. I'd rather hang out with a dog than most people I know, with the exception of my BOC pals! :wink: Dogs put a HEAP of jingle in our pockets through the years! :big_smile:

<Looks like a whiskered animal curled up there?>

Yep, there is a black cat curled up above and to the left in the pic.
    Bill in SC

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Bill for the neat picture of your boat dog. They are a lot of company however I lost mine back in April.Be awhile if ever before I get any more dogs.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Bill that's a good looking dog you got there, hope she bring's you years of joy.

6. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Like you Bill, dogs are a part of my family. The latest is one my oldest son rescued and he has turned out to be a daddy's boy. By far the most tolerable fishing partner I know.

Attached Files:

• 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
  8. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Lost my brown lab 2 yrs. ago. I cried like a baby when I came home that morning and the wife told me that COCO got ran over right after I left to go to work. I have not got another one yet.My wife has a tea cup yorkie was not to pleased when she brought LADY home but she grew on me. Love the little thing now. Hope one day to get myself another dog. Bill U have a fine looking dog. Everybody needs a dog.
    PEEDEE CAT

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT lookin' Lab, Danny! FINE Bulldogs, Ronald!! Here's James' 'Eskimo'. You'll find another nice 'un, Greg!!
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Whenever my wife doesn't go with me I take my boy Quirt. He's a Heinz 57 of cattle dogs called a Hanging Tree, smartest dog I've ever had.

Attached Files:

11. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    the eskimo dog you just posted does anyone else notice that look in the eyes like "i see you fish and im about to get you" nice dogs bill . Here is ours

This one is named Lady she was rescued from 7/11 and had a skin disease she is now i think 5 years old. Can anyone guess what kind of dog "dogs" she is.

This one is named chompers he is 6 months old we bought him in a parking lot at lowes for 25 dollers. Guess what he is :D

Attached Files:

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    thomas they look like good ol american pit's to me

13. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    yes and the white one is part lab and the black one is part english bulldog. They arent very good fishing dogs but its fun to take them they like riding in the boat. ( are very noisy white one always wants to jump in after the hook but never does cause the water is in the way ^_^ )

14. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have 2 females. One is fixed and the other is gonna get fixed. One is a heinz 57 small to medium,and the other is 8 months old pure bred Golden Retriever. The Retriever was given to us,previous owner I guess just didn't have any time for her. The other dog was a stray. She was dumped just as soon as she was weaned. I get angry when people just dispose of their animals the way you would trash.They have feelings too. I know how MRR feels about losing his dog. I have lost some dogs also and man it hurts,cuts like a knife,but I imagine as long as I am physically and mentally capable I will always have a dog,or dogs. I just love em too much!! Sorry no pictures.:big_smile:

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill, what kinda genes you reckon Layla has; judging by her color she could have some spitz in her and that would explain the spirit she has..........

just wonderin....

I see a cat also in the pic ???????????

16. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Bill, that's nice little girl you got there. I'm sure she'll be very loyal.

My dog was rescued by some folks around Portland, TN. I saw an ad for her in a local want ad paper and something just told me to go get her. She's my constant shadow and is extremely loyal.

She had a close encounter with a coyote Sunday night at my Mom's house. She scared the wee-wee out of it and it took off. :smile2:

Brownie is part boxer and part bird dog - but thinks she's a deer dog. She saw a deer the other night and went on point. By the way, she's not snarling in this picture - she smiles on command!

Attached Files:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    She's a beauty, Debbie!!
    Bill in SC

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Larry, I haven't a clue, and I've had a heap of dogs. She retrieves like crazy, and when she is near water, she's all in it, sticking her head under the water, etc. I see LOTS of mixed dogs around like her, but have NO clue as to her lineage.
    Bill in SC

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill you have jinxed me! :confused2: The day you started this thread a stray came in the yard. I called the number for the vet that is listed on the rabies shot tag and found the owner, They won't come get her!:angry:
    I'm not mad that she is here, I'm mad that they treat this dog like that. She croutches down and rolls on her side when aproached and pees. She has been mistreated! I should go to their house and &^%$#@% on their porch! She is not even a year old and is cute as can be. My 3 year old son asked if he could name her. I had my youngest son, Levi 17 months, out in the yard while I was wiring in my new bait tank and looked over to see him squeal in delight as that puppy licked him from head to toe!:smile2: They rolled in the grass together and the pup pranced around after Levi all afternoon. I feel bad for the pup and I have been feeding her, she also sleeps in a box on the porch that I built for storage of my fishing towels.

THANKS BILL!!! :wink:

20. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    My wife and I readily believe that a rescued dog can be a better companion than a "bought" dog. It seems like they're ready to give the love and attention you showed it by helping it out. Don't look at the dog as a nuisance. Look at it as the dog is thanking you by playing with and getting along with the kids. Mutts are great to have around and nine times out of ten, they'll make the best friends.