My biggest surf catch of the summer.

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Aug 31, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Well its not that big at all, havent had much luck in the surf this summer. i was fishing in Corova Nc. you can drive out on the beach. i drove about 11 miles up the beach according to the mile posts before i found a sandbar. first time driving alone in the deep sand too:embarassed:( well my little brother was there). Its a puppy drum, my brother caught lots of spot and croaker. Last summer i caught a 18.something and 23.7 pound drum on cut mullet, my dad pulled in a 30+ lber last summer too. He didnt come this summer, maybe thats why i didnt get anything big:big_smile:

what do you guys think? 4? 5lbs? felt heavier than that and looked huge at the time:smile2: i didnt have a scale and didnt think to measure it

Attached Files:

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey man thanks for the post.....I just got back from the beach/Harbor a few min. ago.... watched the sun set..... I went down with my big 9 ft surf casting pole..... Actually... the fishing that I was doing was fishing for bonita. I just heard that they have been around now, in numbers, and I thought that I'd re-string my leader material and check out the fly that I'd use tomorrow...... I usually go down and throw my plastic bubble, with a swivel, and then 10-12 foot leader (12lb line) with a streamer/ feather attached. The bubble is casted out about 50yrds, and then splashed back by popping the bubble to attract the fish.....no luck... usually not so good this time of night.... in the am I'll give it a real try.... make some catfish bait...

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice drum man! I live at the beach and I haven't caught a drum in a few years. I rarely saltwater fish so that's probably why:smile2: Good catch though.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Did better than me. We just got back from Florida and I just about got skunked. Caught a bunch of hard tails, one 18" blue and a ladyfish. I spend hours on a kayak close to a mile off the beach dragging bait and didn't get one hit.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice pup! I've caught a few small ones this summer, 12-19" but nothing over 20 yet. But the time is coming...Wes, if you want to get into some reds, drag that boat up here and we'll have some fun in the next month or so.

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    nice fish!! im bettin right at 4#'s. of course they always look bigger in person. me and my ol' lady are goin to run down some bull reds this afternoon. i figure we will chase them for a bit, and then gig some flounder after dark.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I may have to take you up on that Conrad. I wouldn't mind getting into some drum.

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nice fish. OK, I'm ignorant...why is it a puppy drum? Because it's small? I've never done hardly any saltwater fishing. We lived in Florida years ago, on the St.Johns River, but mostly just caught croakers & the occasional small spot.
    Also, I saw mentioned about gigging for flounder. Again...ignorant...is that how you catch them? We're going to Grand Isle, La. next month & I'd like to try a little of all of it! Any suggestions, guys?
    Sorry, Charles, I'm not trying to take over your thread. But any advise would be appreciated.

Well, if I'd just read the next thread on Stickin Flatfish, I'd have known more about flounder! Sorry about that!

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    puppy drum are the smaller and younger drum