My biggest catfish yet!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Ms. Whiskers, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ms. Whiskers

Ms. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Guys! I had a great time on my outing in Hocking Hills. I caught 2 smallmouths & 3 channels, a 17 1/2, an 18, & a 20". I got back on Friday & was back out fishing in Lancaster on Saturday night, then it happened...A 27" 6'4lb. CHANNEL!!!! That is my biggest fish so far, EVER! I know a lot of you guys catch 5 times that size, but I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment! Using a 30lb. test leader really helped, even though he put kinks all through it. I was back out again yesterday, but wasn't as lucky. My goal is a cat that weighs over 20lbs. I'm trying! I want to check out the Hocking River & see what happens. I've been to a lot of places that are nice, but fishing must be better in a boat. At both Hoover & Lake Logan, I kept getting snagged & losing my tackle. I'm looking for places that have really good "snag free" bank fishing. Any suggestions would be great:wink:!

2. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on your new personal best Channel Cat! Sounds like you had a fun time.

3. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ms. Whiskers congrats on the new PB:big_smile:!

You keep trying them fish will get bigger:big_smile:.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on a nice fish, good luck on the water.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congratulations! You'll get that 20lb mark beat sooner than you think!:wink:

6. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Greath to hear keep it up.That big one will come.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    for a channel thats huge!

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    GOOD JOB ON YOUR PB, THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IF YOU ARE GETTING SNAGGED YOU ARE PROBALY IN THE RIGHT PLACE CHANNELS LIKE COVER!

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Congrats on the big cat. Catfish and snags go together like eggs and bacon, bread and butter, PB and J.

You can minimize the effect of those snags by using catfish bobbers.

10. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    awesom sounds like you had a good time and thats what matters most,

congratulations and good luck in the fututre

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jennifer congrats on your PB channel. You might want to consider useing floats to help with the snags. Fish just off the bottom. Glad you had a good trip.:smile2:

12. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's outstanding Jennifer. Sounds like you are having a good time and the more time you spend with bait in the water, the more chance you will see bigger cats...those big channels are fun, aren't they???

keep the bait wet...

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congratulations on that nice catch.:0a1::006::0a22:

14. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on your new personal best!!

Keep fishin'

drd

15. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the pb, Really does sound like you had an outstanding time

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Congrats keep it up you'll land that lunker in no time!

17. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    congrats on the PB. Snags are something you'll get accustomed to when bottom fishing. Lots of great lakes and reservoirs in the area that have nice cats. Keep it up they'll get bigger. I had to go after a flathead to break the 20# mark though. 20# Channels are rare.

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    Congrats on the fish!

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new PB :cool2:.

20. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    You'll probably want to go for a flathead. Channels do get that big around here but you don't often catch 'em. As for snag free, good luck! Some of the best spots for flatheads are full of snags. Your best bet from shore, in my opinion, is where a tributary drops into a larger creek or river. The outside bend of a river is just as good too. Try fishing the front of the hole. Use a large, lively baitfish ( carp, sunfish, bullheads, suckers etc.). Trim down the tail fin, so they can't pull as hard and the dorsal fin. This causes them to tip over in the water. They'll keep flipping their tails to stay upright ( lots of vibration). This also gets a little blood scent in the water and as we all know, cats are big swimming noses. Good luck! Hope your tackle holds up! Oh yea, use wrapped leaders instead of crimped. Sometimes crimped ones hav weak spots. I had a flathead break a 60 # crimped leader in the Ohio R. once. Talk about a heart breaker :(