My Best Friend

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    True friends are few and far between .Several years back in Sept of 1995 .
    I came to know a man by the name of Vance Brown.We met at a hunting camp in Union South Carolina by the name of Whippowill Hunt Camp.We became best of friends. We just seem to have a lot of things in common.
    We deer hunted together every weekend of the Deer season.We had made plans to hunt the sping turkey season.He ask my wife and I to come to visit him at his home in Linville Falls after deer hunting was over.He owned a christmas tree farm with 18 acres of trees. My wife made plans to go visit him
    in Feb of 1996.We went to his home the first of Feb on a saturday and stayed all day.He gave us a tour of his farm and told us all about tree farming.So we left for home that day I did not know that would be the last time I would see Vance alive.When The Turkey season opened some thing came up that I would get to hunt the open week.I called Vance and informed him and he said he would go on down and hunt alone.On Tues of that first week Vance had not been seen in the campground.They thought he had went home and his family thought he was still hunting.So a week went by before they knew he was missing.
    His fiance' called my wife on the following Sat to inform us he was missing.We went down to hunt camp after church on Sunday to help find him.Vance had been missing for a week by now.All his friends on the life saving crew brought their 4 wheelers down from the mountains to look for him.
    After 2 weeks of searching a preacher and his wife were out walking and one said they smelled a fowl odor.They walked over to the side of road and they spotted a red truck at the base of a ravine.They called authoraties at a command post setup nearby.His son in law was there and he identified his badly decomposed body.I still miss old Vance.He was indeed a true friend.:0a16:

The good Lord sent another true friend my way by the name of Steve. He is better know as Dragger on the BOC.I have only known Steve for ten months.
    He and his wife Debbie have become a true friend to me and my wife.
    He has drift fishing down to an art. He sure has taught me a lot.I commend Steve on all his different talents the Lord has given him and he shares them with others.If you have a best friend let them know.Because it's to late after they are gone.:thumbsup:

Ace :cat:

N.C.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ace,

Thanks for sharing, Rep points your way! :)

Really makes you think!

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    So sorry to hear of your friend. After reading your post I took a minuite and said a quick thanks for all the friends that have graced the pages of my life. I have not lost a friend and hope to never endure that type of loss but I guess my hope is just a pipe dream for nothing lasts for ever. Life is too short and this is a great time to recognize those that we care about and have shared good times with:)

4. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thank You Ace, I needed reminded.

5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Now that there was a great post.

6. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    :thumbsup:

:)

:006:

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    great post and reminder. sorry for your loss. happy for your gain.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ace, I remember when that happened because my brother-in-law at the time was friends with Mr. Brown and was very upset when they found out about it.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Ace, it's like this. True friends aren't few, and they don't have to be hard to find. The difficult part is recognizing one once you have found them. Not every body wants to be a friend. Some people like to go it alone, live with out owing anyone and having to pay them back for friendship. I can't help but feel sorry for them.
    It's clear you have a trusting, loving, honest soul and you conduct your self with dignity and integrity.That's what we look for when we meet someone, to see if they have these same qualities. Some do, some don't, some are learning and some need help and nurturing, so they can become good friends. It depends on just how much time and effort you want to invest. When you find a true friend, it is because you are one your self.
    We and others here have reached that age we never dreamed of as children, and with it comes sadness of loss, but it's only a physical one. Our friends, our true friends, will be with us forever in our memories, sharing life's joys and successes, and even the quiet times, when we look into our selves, to explore the reasons why we say, do, and think certain things. It's sad but it makes us who we are, better people I hope.
    Isn't it really up to us how many friends we have, and by saying (true friend ) aren't we really saying we love that person a little more than others, like a brother maybe? And the good news is, you can have as many brothers as you want, right here in the BOC

10. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Great post!! Sorry about Vance, but I'm glad you found a new friend.

11. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I want to thank every one that replyed to my post for their kind thoughts.

Ace :0a36:

N.C.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ace,

Very fine words.

Thanks for sharing.

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Man that really is SAD... i almost cryed :crying: and yes it does make u stop and think about those that u love and those u wish you would have loved before it was too late... tell that special friend that u really care about them.. :)