my best ever catfish trap...finished 2day! im so proud!!!u just dont know:)

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by da-cajun-angla, Apr 12, 2008.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    im estimating that this trap took me about 25-30hrs from designing to finish...i finished it about an hour ago. i have 3 patent pending self-designed crawfish traps as of 4 months ago, but this is my first ever catfish trap! i cant tell yall how excited i am. so much thought went into the design of this trap...u have no idea...if the string is strung from the top of the trawl net to the top of the trap, it can be used as a crab or crawfish trap. if the bait is changed, it can also be used as a carp trap. the way the trawl is strung, when a catfish enters, the top of the trawl closes, and is also upward angled to deter the escape of the catfish, carp, etc. on the same note, crabs enter walking sideways, so their spike on them gets stuck, thus stopping them from getting in the trap and eating the bait... same thing with the forward walking crawfish...claws get stuck trying to penetrate the trawl...like i said...i cant tell yall how excited i am its finished!!! let me know what yall think. i already entered it to get it patented!!!<--nowadays u have 2!
    thanks for yall support!
    shaun
    the pics are here...feel welcom to look at them all!
    http://http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/da-cajun-angla/?action=view&current=PICT0019.jpg

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    picture link dont work

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Nice job on the trap. I would never use one of those as I live up north and there is not a huge demand up here. I can respect the effort and workmanship that went into it though. Congrats on a great job.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How cotton pickin big is that thing anyhow? Can't see anything to set a scale by. Guess LA. must allow trapping of cats, whereas the states which consider them to be game fish more than likely prohibit traps. But, good job. Just don't let any of those other cajun reptiles try to get in the trap. lOL

5. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Awesome job Shaun! Lets see some pic's when that babies in use! Congrats on your success!:cool2:

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Great pics. Very good looking trap. Have you tried it out yet?

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yikes, thats big enuff to catch a crocagator in. Really nice workmanship and i would love to have a mess of crawdads.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    very good job and effort on the trap. hope it catches you lots of fish:wink:

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    man that is cool nice job:cool2:

10. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana
    i really appreciate all ur kind words...i just fnished it last night, so havent had a chance to try it out, but i guarantee it will work! its about 6 foot long and about 3-1/2' diameter...its hella big! im worried about net thieves. so ill robably take the pirouge out, and go somewhere no one can ge to.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post and the pics..... "its a big in".... good job

bayrunner ray

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a nice looking trap thanks for sharing the pictures with us

13. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
  14. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    Send us some pics wit some catfish in um !

Thanks for sharing with us !

15. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana
    u can take a stocking filled with catfish cheese...cut up pogies...any kind of cut bait fish. the bait box i made isnt huge as u can see, but its placement is very important. the true funnel angles upward, and the bait box is directly underneath it. the only thing i have to do to finish it is rig some type of "eyes" for hoisting it up capable of lifting a hundred plus lbs. of fish w/o disfiguring the trap...probably gonna fabricate something out of rebar and "beaners".
    shaun

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That's a good lookin trap, you spent some time on that one.

17. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I see someone has been watching Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel.
    The only drawback I see to the setup is the size of the crane needed to lift it out of the water when it is full of fish.. Most catfishermen I know do not have a crane setup on their boats to lift that sucker.

Good Luck...It sure looks like it will work.

David Carroll
    "Catdaddy64"

18. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Cajun, that is some nice trap. I really hope it works well. Please let us know how it does.
    :crazy:

19. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana

actually, its not as big as it looks in the pics. my kid and fiancee were sleepin, so i had to take em by myself. its about 5.5-6.0ft long, the bottom is 2.0ft wide, and the half moon top is 3.0ft. the "fish well" is large though, so im sure it can hold about75 or so lbs of fish easy. im reinforcing the bottom and sides with small diameter rebar b4 i put it out.
    shaun