My bait tank

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by DM1975, May 4, 2006.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Just thought I would share my design with you all. After looking at some of the elaborate setups on here I decided to do it cheap. I bought a whisper power filter from wal mart, a rubbermaid tub and scrounged an airpump and air stone. I have about $20.00 in it and I am keeping bluegill alive for weeks at a time in it. Let me know what you think.

Also, is there a better way to post photos on here?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/bait-tank.jpg

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Looks like a decent setup to me.

Thanks for sharing.

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I forgot to mention I had a few jump out of the tank so I cover it with my casting net now.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That looks like a good set up.I guess I need to upgrade,I keep mine in a 10 gal aquarium and it works good just needs cleaned more often.I did keep a dozen bluegill in it for a week and they were fine.
    On the pics,I save mine to My Pictures and then upload them to the thread.Just click on the paperclip on top,click on browse,find your pic and click upload.Then click the arrow beside the paperclip and click on your pic name to attach it to the thread.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks to tea,he helped the cat in my avatar grow big!

Attached Files:

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thats a nice bait tank. I have a large horse watering tank I use. I put a livewell aerator in it and used a 12volt power supply to run it. I don't keep bluegills in it for long. Maybe 4 days at the most. They always stay healthy in it.

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    just goes to show you that sometimes the simplest things are the best

7. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Looks like it works great and you saved money. It is a real winner in my book.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I've been thinking about the amonia filter at WalMart. Bet that's the key to keeping them alive. Thanks for sharing.

9. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks, I just run mine like I do my aquarium in the house. I have charcoal filtration along with regular media filter and a spongelike piece that does the biological filtration. I do change the water often and add a chlorine neutralizer to it.

10. Dosse

Dosse New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Looks like a nice Rig, I have some friends that worked for a beer distributing plant and they got one of the redbull display coolers and me and a friend rigged it up to hold our bait fish in. It did fantastic and since the bait store was 20 minutes away from where we were staying, it allowed us to make one or two trips instead of 6 or 8 and save that 3 dollar a gallon gas money

11. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use a 10 gallon Coleman cooler with filter and airstone. Keeps chubs and minnows alive for weeks. I change water every two weeks. Aquarium gravel on bottom helps keep amonia levels down.

12. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    You can upload them direct as long as they aren't larger than 500 x 400. If they are, you;ll have to resize them.

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Steve, if you want to go more on the cheap side, you can make your own filters for the filter system you are using. Go to Wal-mart and buy a container of charcoal made for aquaruim filters. Then get a package of the filters they sell that fit inside your floor vents for a forced air furnace system. They are made to remove any dust that gets past your furnace filter before it enters your house. (They are approx. 4"X12") Take them home, fold the filter in half so they are 4"X6" and have the wife/girlfriend/mother or yourself if you are a well adjusted self sufficient male (lol) and sew them up both sides leaving the top open. Add the bulk charcoal and rinse thoroughly. This will fit snugly into the aquarium filter in place of the store bought filters that are basically the same thing but cost an arm and half a leg. I think you get 12 of the vent filters in a pkg for around $2, and the charcoal is about the same, maybe $1 more. I used the homemade filters all year in 2004 and they worked fine.
    Here's picture of a store bought (right) and a homemade filter (left).
    Rat

Attached Files:

14. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks, I will have to try that as my filter is in need of change right now.

15. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That's the way to do it. Keep it simple stupid, that's my motto.

-Red

16. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    pretty nice tank you got there, im thinking of trying that setup once i start catching some more bait

17. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Well all my water just turned dark green almost overnight. My power went out for 12 hours and I had a massive die off. I removed all the dead fish but my water went straight to green.