Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on 800 by the old harts bait shop headed out of dennison. Old timer hart died years back so there's no bait shops in this direction . What would people think of a bait shop here again ? Im thinking about starting one with my son and was wondering if it would worth it . What types of bait people would like to see here. Worms ,minnows, liver, and creek chubs...How about hooks and sinkers ? Give me some input and if people want it i'll try my best to start sell'en some bait....FISH"ON

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't plan on getting rich. Just sounded like a good chance for my boy (15yrs. old ) to learn a lesson in life and make some cash.Don't have plans of being big just having bait when people need it.Plus it keeps me in bait !He's young enough to do the grunt work and catch all the bait .

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Bob are you talking about the Newark area I thought there were a couple out that way. But for me I would like a BS to have general stuff on hand and maybe some special order stuff that you could get quick. A few items on hand for a quick fishing trip like maybe bait and such but you could special order sinkers or special bait for a good trip or something.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I personally would love a bait shop right in there again. The only problem you will have is hwo you do your bait. If someone asks for a dozen minnies........you don't make sure there is exactly 12 in the bucket. The one bait shop out by Clendening is so stingy.....I know of at least 20 people that do not go there any more because of it. Cripple and Salt Fork both give you a scoop. If you say a dozen you usually get 20.

Pricing is the other problem. If the prices are out of line.....people won't buy. I make sinkers and jigs and know from experience that they don't sell if they are priced too high. I have been to shows selling sitting right beside people that had the same thing I did. They would get mad because I was selling so much more than them and would say stuff to me about it how I was selling them so cheap that they get X amount out of them. When it came down to it.....the only thing I did was sell them at a fair price.

I am ONE customer that would use the shop. I live in Gnadenhutten and would end up fishing out there way more often if I had minnies on the way. Right now, I either head to tappan or Salt Fork because of the bait shops. I'd get ahold of Salt Fork for bait suppliers too. they seem to get the better bait selection than the other supplier that comes around this way. Don't be afraid to get in goldfish too :glasses-cool:

·
Registered
727 Posts
You know what I can't find at any store around here is circle hooks bigger than 5/0 or sabiki rigs. May be something to stock on the shelves. I have to go all the way to bass pro shop for that stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what i like to hear. I like hear what u want and how far people have togo. I know what i like to use (ciclehooks being one of them ) But everyone don't use the same as me. I believe a good bullshitter gets better deals and i do believe in a scoop for a dozen. I would only give a person a true dozen if either 1 i didn't like ya or 2 you need to be a better fish story teller...Ol'man Hart used to be the same way. If you told a good fishen story he like ya and you got the deals.If not ,you were lucky if he sold you anything. That was one good ol'boy. A real straight shooter

·
Banned
700 Posts
Get in some sucker's ,goldfish, creek chub's , kahel hook's 7/0-10/0 , line mono and braid ,head lamp's, Kat Float's , stuff us cat guy's would use sell fishing/hunting licineses , I remember when i was a little boy and went to hart's to get bait i used to live just up the hill and around the corner, that was nice having a bait shop that close and his price's were fair also. I remember mr Hart one time my Dad was taking me and a buddy fishing but dad didn't have his fish licineses and no $ till pay day but mr Hart would let Dad take us fishing with out his lic. so Dad could wet a line with us so he told my Dad you come back and see me when you have the $ and handed my Dad his licineses up front and said i trust you !!!!! Well that friday Dad went back and payed Mr Hart and told him thank you was a very nice man, I would like to see another shop closer than cripple creek and the one on by Clendening is a joke price's are to high and they count every minnow not how ya run a good bait shop throw in a few xtra minnow's or something to keep you customer's coming back time and time again,

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What would you be willing to pay for Bait delivery ?:dont-know: cost based on distance. with late night deliveries.
That's a tough one. I don't know what they charge for the place that brings them for Cripple and the place on 799. Also don't know what it costs for Salt Fork. It depends on who you get it from. If you get the same supplier as Cripple, it should save some money. Maybe try talking to them at Cripple to see what the charges are. I don't think they would mind talking since it's not like you are trying to run them out of business.
A buck a dozen for crappie minnies, and up to 1.50 a dozen for bass minnies is the norm. Salt Fork has what they call crappie minnies. I think they charge 1.25 for 3 dozen....and 1.50 per dozen on the bass minnies. Cripple just has small and med minnies. The smalls at cripple are larger on average than the crappie size at Salt Fork, but you get more bang for your buck at Salt Fork.
Goldfish run around 11 bucks a lb. Salt fork allows you to pick out what sizes you want to make your pound. I think Cripple is about the same on price for goldfish too. Chubs I have no idea because I don't buy creek chubs. I wouldn't mess with buying bluegill to sell. Just don't try selling gills cuz it's illegal to sell them if they are not from a bait supplier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a tough one. I don't know what they charge for the place that brings them for Cripple and the place on 799. Also don't know what it costs for Salt Fork. It depends on who you get it from. If you get the same supplier as Cripple, it should save some money. Maybe try talking to them at Cripple to see what the charges are. I don't think they would mind talking since it's not like you are trying to run them out of business.
A buck a dozen for crappie minnies, and up to 1.50 a dozen for bass minnies is the norm. Salt Fork has what they call crappie minnies. I think they charge 1.25 for 3 dozen....and 1.50 per dozen on the bass minnies. Cripple just has small and med minnies. The smalls at cripple are larger on average than the crappie size at Salt Fork, but you get more bang for your buck at Salt Fork.
Goldfish run around 11 bucks a lb. Salt fork allows you to pick out what sizes you want to make your pound. I think Cripple is about the same on price for goldfish too. Chubs I have no idea because I don't buy creek chubs. I wouldn't mess with buying bluegill to sell. Just don't try selling gills cuz it's illegal to sell them if they are not from a bait supplier.
I think what he is getting at Rocky is what would YOU (people fishing) be willing to pay for a bait delivery to where ever you are! Meaning, say you are having a killer night of fishing but running out of bait and don't want to give up your spot to go get more..... Just give Bob a call and he would run it out to ya!:wink:

At least I think that is what he is saying? LOL

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think what he is getting at Rocky is what would YOU (people fishing) be willing to pay for a bait delivery to where ever you are! Meaning, say you are having a killer night of fishing but running out of bait and don't want to give up your spot to go get more..... Just give Bob a call and he would run it out to ya!:wink:

At least I think that is what he is saying? LOL
now that would be a whole different story! If I had a night that good that I'd be wanting more bait......I'd pay a lot...hahahahaha. Considering I always have way more bait than needed......it would have to be one heck of a night of fishin!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what im say'en...I've had nights where i only had doz. chubs ,alot of liver alot of worms and lost so many chubs (or caught so many cats:wink:) that all i was left with was alot of liver alot of worms and no more chubbers....That sucks!....I would of payed for the delivery so i didn't have to leave the river....Especially the 2:00am run ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.