My bait creek

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lilrivercatman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi I have a small creek that runs by my house that has a bunch of minnows in it right now. Im wait for them to grow up so I can trap them. However I am concerned about the water levels. They keep getting a little shallower everyear. MY question is...Is there anyone to make it deeper by like digging it out with a shovel or anything? Putting rocks in it? Damming it up? Hey I'm bored anyhow! :lol:

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    when I was a kid we would spend hours and hours daming up the little creek behind our houses. it will work a little bit. but dont expect it completely stop the flow or anything.

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL, I'm not the only one. When it gets warmer I'm going to take my son & daughter to do the same thing.

4. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah I've tried that a few times with old cement chunks. It last for a while, but as soon as we get a big rain...its gone.

5. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I think damming it up would be your best bet. I would use something that won't erode, like flat stones with concrete in between. Then run a big piece of PVC trough it with a piece of screen on one end to allow the creek to flow but prevent your bait from escaping. I guess you could let it flow over the top like a waterfall if you wanted , but your bait might get washed overboard in a heavy rain. I'm pretty sure little minnows have no problem swimming back up stream, either. That could be another problem.

6. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Check the laws in your area. Some places it is against the law to dam creeks. when you dam a creek you restrict the flow up and down stream, not just in one spot.

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

clovis you make a great point. even though I doubt a couple kids throwin some rocks in a creek will burn mother nature ,seriously restricting flow can be a big problem. besides, mother nature has ways of curing things like that. like sending in the neihgborhood trouble makers to come and kick it down:lol: lol

and apart from getting outside and doing something, its great exercise..

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    A low water sandbag dam is a low tech and cheap solution. Remember, wide at the bottom narrow at the top. I seem to remember eight rows on the bottom and reduce it one row every other level. Offset the bags from row to row like bricks in a wall. As a boy I helped with many such a dam to create a small creek pond to water plant beds or irrigate a garden spot. They do wash out or collapse under floods. If they did not they would silt up eventually anyway.
    We used to select a site where the banks were high and near a sand bar so we could fill the bags. Of course we always put up a rope swing and spent some time cooling off once the water backed up.

Good old simple times.

9. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
  10. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Planting thick tall bushes like honey suckles around the bank would shield it from sun and so much evaporation, that might help depending on how big the creek is.

11. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I'm not speaking of mother nature. I am refering to the guy a mile up stream whos cow field will be under water from you backing the water up by eight inches or however many. granted it won't be deep, but it would be enough to kill a hay crop.

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think these are all great ideas, but dynamite works wonders! jk why dont you find your nearsest equipment rental center and look into getting a portable water pump. it is set up on a small generator and it shoots a decent amount orf water out of a hose and through a steel pipe. we use them down here all of the time to set pilings for peers. you can blast away a pretty good hole through mud sand and some small rocks in no time. we routinely use them to make underwater holes as much as 5 ft. down to set the pilings in. and i am pretty sure it wont have too much effect on the environment. because the only thing effecting your creek is moving water. and the best part is, you can make your hole deeper without having to build a dam and having trouble with that neighbor whose cow pasture just got flooded.

j.d.

13. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I guess i would dig it up some

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Depending on how wide the creek is and what the soil's like you could try alot of things...

Drive stakes into the ground at 2/3 ft intervals and put chicken wire on the UPSTREAM SIDE of the stakes, At the Riffle section just below the hole you want to deepen... I know doesn't sound like a very effective way of stopping the water, but give it a good rain storm and all the leaves, sticks and trash will get caught up in it, giving you a few more inches of depth into the creek... also serves a second purpose of keeping the trash from upstream to go down stream (an excuse if DNR or a farmer doesn't like its result), just clean the trash from it (leave the sticks and leaves) every few weeks/months and you'll be good...

Another tactic is to build a rock dam... Go clean out your yard or go find a constuction site, and get the medium sized rocks that they are just piling up to the side of the area (ask first to make sure they don't need them) and transport them back, making a nice barrier for the water, to be slowed by (not stopped completely)

last option i've got is just let the stream do it naturally... there's gotta be some deep holes in it somewhere... find them... and keep an eye on them... the fish will get big enough soon enough, just give it time.