My bad luck has changed.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SGTREDNECK, Nov 8, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So I woke up at 4am this morning feeling like I drank too much last night and hit the snooze button and was going to sleep in until i woke up and not go hunting this morning. Then a few min later the alarm went off again. So I crawled out of bed. Gathered my hunting gear and put it in the truck. About 5 miles down the road I remember I forgot my permit on my dresser and had to turn around. No big deal but enough to make you angry. So I head to the store to get a cup of joe before I hit the woods. While paying for the coffee something told me to check and see if my orange was in the truck. come to find out I didn't have my orange hat and vest with me. No I am steaming mad, knowing i was going to be late. So I fly all the way to the closest walmart. Buy a vest and hat. Now I am on the way to a new hunting area, I have never hunted before and am running late. day break is closely approaching. So I am looking at the map and my selected hunting area is suppose to start after the bridge and the signs are wrong, so i drive around for another 10 min and finally find where my area starts. Then I start going up a hill and can see that its getting light out now. I look and see a big oak grove on top of this hill. And decide this is where i am going to hunt.I park the truck and change into my scent blocker clothes and boots. Spray down and spray some code blue estrus on my new hat. I didnt even take the sticker off the hat.I put the primer in my savage ML II and start my journey into the woods. With every step i know every deer within 10 miles is going to spook because all the dry leaves. So after a few min of walking into the woods the oak grove turns into a pine thicked but it really opened up about 100 yards into it so i headed in. I am now in a hurry because day break is here. I walking into the pines and it opened where i had shooting lanes of 75 yards in spots. I started to climb a tree, and about 10 feet up I knew i was in the wrong tree, so I get down discouraged because now i dont need my flashlight to see and know i spooked every deer within miles. I find a tree 5 yards deeper in and realize i can now see alot better. I climb about 30 feet up and as soon as i sit down and start scanning i hear a shot off in the distance. Now i know I was too late. I just knew it was a bad day after all the events leading up to then. So i pull up my pull cord, spray it with the code blue estrus and lower it so it will drift some scents downwind. I sit there for 5-10 min and I hear a buck growl so loud it jumped me and i froze. Pulled out my buck roar and gave it one loud stern grunt. And then all madness breaks loose. Another loud grunt for my left. I spot a doe running my way, so i get ready because i know there is a buck following her. Then a monster buck comes into view and stops in the thicket and turns around and postures up to another big buck. The first one was way bigger tho. Then another doe goes running by them and the bigger one goes chashing her through the thicket and my heart dropped out of my chest when I lost sight of them. So i turn to where the other deer were and they were gone. All of a sudden i see another doe running like she is being chased. And I see him dogging her bad. They stop and now start eating the acorns for what seems like 10 hours. Then the buck walks up to the doe and sniffs her, and she takes off down the thicket straight for a perfect 65-70 yard shot. I watch her go through my scope and i can see him coming into view and he walks into the crosshairs and i pull the trigger. He just stops and stands there and I am about to throw my gun out of the tree because i know there is no way i missed, but he is just standing there for a few min which again seemed like it was hours. I reloaded and as soon as i was done, he starts rocking back and forth, turns around and lays down. After a min or so, I put another round in him just to make sure he doesnt get up, and run off. After sitting there for 10 min i couldnt take it anymore. So i climb down and walk to my buck. He turned out to be a BIG main frame 8 with a s[​IMG]ticker on each G2. I felt so blessed and happy I knelt down and thanked God and my Grandfather for watching down on me and started to choke up and even shed a tear. He is not the biggest deer in the world. But its my biggest and my the happiest I have been in a very long time. Hope you all enjoy and God Bless you all.

Attached Files:

2. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Nice buck and great story.

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice buck !:big_smile: thanks for sharing.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i've had a few days like that over the years but mine just kept getting worse , your day turned out real good....congrats on the buck ...thats one good looking deer in my book

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Good buck, good story. Isn't it funny how the most messed up hunts can turn into the best ones in about 2 seconds?

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Nice one. Congrats.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to ya Sarge!! Well deserved. Nice to be on American groung again ain't it!!??

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    beautiful buck Andrew!! great story!! glad it was a successful hunt!!:big_smile:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good to see ya home, Even better to see ya had a heck of a hunt with a nice buck. Congrats on him. Now ya can spend a lil more time fishen :wink:.

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    One pretty deer

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Maybe not the biggest deer in the world but that's defintely a mounter where I come from !!!!!! Congrats and thx for the story !

12. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Andrew , that is a fine buck in any part of the country.Congrats, that looks like one of them big Lafayette bucks near the range...:wink:
    I was hunting area 25 or 26 one Can't remember.I was running late So I started walking quickly down a fire break.All of a sudden I feel a wire on my shin,too late. Someone had left a M209 blast simulator rigged up as a tripwire and forgot to retrieve it after maneuvers.:smile2:
    Yeah that was a good one.Didn't see much that morning....

13. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice job Andrew, Thats a good buck and thanks for the pics and great story. REPS!!

14. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Very nice........Thanks for sharing the story and pic!

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    nice buck and story congrats

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congratulations! That is a beautiful buck; I love the sticker points. Way to go!

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I am hitting the woods again tomorrow on a farm in Kentucky. I haven't taken a deer with a bow in a few years. So hopefully i will put the smack down on a monster. This farm hasnt been hunted this year so it should be a hum dinger. Good luck and shoot a monster.

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Glad ya got back and glad ya got to hunt. What a story, things can change real fast. Thats a nice buck, I'd be happy to get one like that. Now get one with the bow.

19. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    You kill that one on post

20. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    andrew congrats,buck and mornings like this is what makes us get out of bed in the mornings.does your savage shoot smokeless powder and if it does how do you like it thanks for sharing