My Arms Are Getting Tired, from reeling in flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    How long did it take u to land your biggest flathead? The 40 pounder I caught only took somewhere around 10 min. (more or less) wasent realy keeping track at the time.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it took me about 15 minutes to subdue a 36lb flathead.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    it took me about 6 mins to land my biggest flat it was about 38 pounds. i was using a shakespear 6.4' rod

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    caught a 40 pound flathead and took about 30 mins or so to get it to the bank and another 10 to get it up the bank....those river banks can be bad...caught a 22 pound blue and he took forever to get in he was about in 30 ft pf water and every time he would get close to the top he would just drive back down.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    5-10 minutes most of the time but i did hook into one last year that lasted a good 20 minutes and didnt even get the fish off the bottom over 2-3 ft. broke my 30lb test line too:crying: i sure would have at least got to see that fish. im still after her.

6. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i thank it matters on what lb test line your using if its 40 or 50 lb test it should not take that long to land a 30 or 40 lbder.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Probably 30 minutes to land my 29#'r. Fought against a tough current and alot of fallen timber/snags.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just quit fishing for a while, your arms will recover in a week or two. LOL

9. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    it took me about 3 mins to reel in my 25 pound flat

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    honestly, the 28lber on my avatar was on the bank within 30 seconds. He ate my bluegill and ran toward the bank. I was using 65lb power pro.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you all are working much to hard. you better rest for a few weeks. Darn those big fish anyway. I just wouldn't put up with big fish forcing me to reel them in.

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think that no matter what size the fish is it would depend on how heavy the equipment and line you're fishing with determine how long you have to play the fish to land him. Some on here use light tackle and some use heavy tackle, you can tell by how long it took to land their fish, myself I use heavy tackle. I can always land those small ones on it but when I hook into the big one I'm fishing for I don't want to have to play the fish until I'm wore out trying to keep from damageing my rod, reel or heaven forbit, break a line.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest was 50-lbs and it did not take all that long to get it in, maybe 10 minutes.

14. eastPAchris

eastPAchris New Member

State:
    PA
    23lber took about a minute...

15. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I can say is I wish I had tired arms from getting in those huge fish.I love to have one fishing trip where I came home exhausted from reeling in big fish. Oh how I wish!!---------------pk powell:eek:oooh:

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    It took me about 15 minutes to reel in a 40# in open water and then at another place it took me about 20-25 minutes becuse I had to really work him to keep him from getting hung up.

17. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    It took me about five minutes on my 25 pounder, i use medium to heavy tackle in the 25 lb range

tightlines

18. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I've never caught a flathead but I have caught fish close to 100lbs and the size of the tackle does make a big difference. Also, it seems like a lot longer than it really is when you are fighting a fish, so it is hard for me to say how long my hardest fight took.