My 6500 "Screams" when I cast it, why?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JBrooks, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I bought a 6500 used for dirt cheap.
    Everytime I cast it, the spool or the levelwind (something moving fast) makes a very loud noise the entire duration of the cast. It just doesn't seem right, especially for an Abu Garcia.

Is this natural? Or does this thing need some lubrication somewhere?

My friend has a 6500C4, the old model - and his does the same thing.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    !st thing i would do is grease the bearings on the end of the spool ,also check you have the clicker off

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and oiling.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have the clicker off. :smile2:
    What's a quick way to add oil into the bearings?
    I really don't want to tear this thing apart.

5. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Unfortunately, there is no quick way. Take the time to tear it apart, clean, and check the parts for any wear. I tear mine down at the end of every season. I don't use that much grease, I mostly use a light reel oil and have never had a problem. I think the stuff I use is called Hot Sauce.
    Your reel could just need the cleaning and oiling but could also have a bad bearing, bushing, or level wind part. I have 4 ABU reels and none of them make noise when I cast them.

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    You need to tear it apart and grease the off side gears that run the levelwind. More than likely it is them that is making the noise. All you have to do is remove the thumbscrews, take the spool out and you can gease that side. You dont have to tear everything down.

7. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Attempt this at your own risk as it's kind of complicated. Very carefully grasp the rod about 2 feet up from the reel and lean over the side of the boat and souzel that sucker up and down in the lake. now try casting it. if it stopped the squalin then it needs cleaned and lubed. Don't worry you're not gonna hurt that Abu.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If it's an old unit, and has bushings, not bearings, one or both of the bushings could be worn, allowing the spool to come in contact with the frame,,

could be a bent spool axle...allowing the spool to spin erratically

If it has bearings,, could be they're all dried out or corroded and don't roll well..

could be some of the parts inside have become damaged,, from the levelwind to the brake friction system..

I'd take apart one side at a time and look for anything obviously damaged..

Does the reel make any noise if you just mess with by hand, or on retrieve..might can tell something by feel..
    without tearing into it,, kinda hard to diagnose...

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've got a 6500 c3 that does the same thing. reel has been sitting in my rod rack for 4 yrs and not been used much at all. i keep it lubed with hot sauce but it still squeals when i cast it. i thought about having it professionally cleaned and lubed but i've had this problem with some other abu reels that i have owned and i don't think an $85 dollar reel is worth spending any money on to have repaired for over half it's value. so it goes into my junk drawer with the other abus.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Just did. Cleaned off the Level Wind, had a lot of "crud" on it.
    Didn't drop any oil in though, for taking it apart with no instructions, I got scared to go any further. :smile2: But, it seems to reel in smoother now.

I'll take her all apart Monday and drop in some greese. As I was taking it apart, white crust was coming out of it. It's definitely been saltwater used.

11. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    Just make sure you dont over grease and oil it.

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I would say that it's probably the bearings, and you probably should replace them. I'd go ahead and replace them with ceramic bearings. If it's got bushings, it's not a bad idea to upgrade to bearings. Clean and lube the levelwind really good too.

It's not that difficult to take apart and put back together, but I can see how it can be intimidating if you've never done it before. I've been taking things apart ever since I could use a wrench and a screwdriver, although back then I rarely could put them back together.

You won't even need to touch the handle side, unless you want to clean and lube that as well, or replace the drag washers (neither is a bad idea). You can disassemble the levelwind and replace the bearings by taking off the sideplate opposite the handle.

13. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    James you can download reel schematics from different sites online, this will help you to see what you have. if you look in old post under reel repair it has helpful tips. Take your time taking it apart making a note and keeping each side and parts together as you go. The worse that could happen is you get stuck and need to get help. Oh anytime an abu makes a load noise (when casting) there is something wrong. The good news is it doesn't cost much to fix for the most part, or it just needs a good cleaning. Good luck let us know what you find. I order most of my parts from abu now also they have excellant service and good turn around.

14. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    It is the nylon level wind gear in the side of it This is real easy to grease

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    . Yep that defenatly sounds like it drop or two of oil should clear it right up.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats your reels way of saying, "Earl me Earl me" :smile2:

17. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    :smile2:

I took it out last night after cleaning it, and it's a lot quieter and casts smoother. Seems like the level wind just needed a really good cleaning - it was disgusting.

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Actually you may have gotton one of those rare female ABUs.You know the kind,cant stand to touch a fish, absolutely wont handle any kind of bait,refuses to clean the fish and probably wont even cook them,hates to go fishing and SCREAMS bloody murder if she accidently touches one of those slimy things.:smile2::big_smile:None the less if you even suspect it has been exposed to saltwater do not be content with what you have done so far.Clean and oil as instructed in the previous posts.:smile2::big_smile:

19. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    it's not that hard,your really overthinking it. set down with the reel and a couple of small screwdrivers. Lay out an old towel on the table,take out a screw and place it at the top left of the towel,and then continue taking each part off and putting them in a line up top so that when you put it together again you just reverse direction and do it one part at a time. clean everything in hot soapy water with lots of detergent,rinse eash part in fresh clean water,dry each peice out,and lightly lube the partsas you reasemble the reel. just take your time and look at how everything comes apart,and you won't have any problems. If you do,your brothers here on the boc will help you out getting it back together again!

20. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    That and there are 100 writeups on google how to take one apart and even on this site and they have pictures. There is minimal lube and mostly cleaning involved. 10 drops of oil or less and one or two things need a teeny bit of grease. Really, it is just part of owning this type of reel. They need to be cleaned over and over again, every year.