My $50 Sinker & Fishing Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 11, 2009.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I am finally getting back into the swing of things. I fished a tourney in WV on Saturday then went out today. I know it's late but better late than never!

Today I woke up to 35 degree temptures, so I went back to bed and finally left the house around 8:30 AM to a warmer 37 degrees! :smile2:

I scouted some old areas as well as some news ones. I ended walking to a spot that I had fished before. I decided to take a "short cut" through the woods. What was normally a 15 minute walk ende dup taking me 35 minutes. I walked through a nice patch into a field of 8 foot grass then woods before making it to the river. I was tired, ticked off and down right angry to be honest with you. As I was rigging my baits I had a sickening feeling. I brought two (count them...TWO!) sinkers with me. I left the other in my truck. I can't begin to tell you how mad I was. Obviously I wasn't going to walk back. In addition to leaving my sinkers I also forgot the main bait... my shad. All I had was eight small live blue gills and two small live bullheads. I was having a bad time. Well I figured I could last a couple hours at least. I was wrong. I got snagged on my first cast with rod #2 which had a blue gill. As I was fighting the snag, rod #1 went down. To my surprise it was a Flathead in the 5-7 # range. I threw rod #1 back out. I went back to fighting the snag, as rod #1 went down again. This time it was a Channel in the same weight class. I threw out again still trying to wrestle the snag. Rod #1 went down a third time in just a span of 10 miutes or so. This time it was another Channel. I was excited as could be, even though the fish were not big the action was quick. I did have another problem though I was running out of bait. I rebaited this time I took a blue gill and cut him up, as I was able to have two pieces of bait, even though they were small. I finally lost the battle w/ the snag. Rod #1 went down again, another channel. All the fish were in the same weight rangem so this was another 5 # channel or so. I looked all over the place for something to use as a sinker. I found nothing. I tried tying a rock up in a zip tie but it wasnt working. I looked in my bag and all I had was my camera, my leatherman, pliars and sinker slides/hooks/swivels. I did what any desperate catfisherman would do..... I used my leatherman as a sinker! Yes, true story. You can see the picture for proof. I'm assuming the leatherman was around 10 ounces or so. My rods were rated for 8 ounces so I was still able to cast it. It felt odd but it worked. I didn't catch anything on it though. It's stainless but I still cleaned it with Remoil when I came home.

I only got to actually fish for an hour and half or so but ended up having a great time. I beleive the total count was four channels and two small flatheads. Most of them came within 30 minutes or so, between 12 PM and 12:30 PM.

In addition to the leatherman picture I added a pic of one of the faltheads that had some sort of growth on it. Does anyone know what this is?

Attached Files:

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have no clue what it is but it looks nasty

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good fishing day, I have no idea on the growth though on the flathead. Have you thought of emailing the pic to the fish and game?

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Awful looking growth on fishes head but 1 heck of a fish story. Sounds like it turned out good even though it was a bad start. Thanks for sharing.Reps for keeping your cools {to a point that is}

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Bryan, glad to see ya back catfishing again. Considering the limited tackle and bait...thats a good hour or so fishing. Oh,by the way, the growth on the flathead is called a "hootyki"

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats the Mellon I know!!!! The guy who will walk thru woods and stuff to get to a fishing hole!!!

But to be the Old Mellon you were not supposed to get any fish.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    These were small, so they dont count too much. This could end up being a good winter spot though. :wink:

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good quick action! Glad to hear the not so smart moves didn't end even worse by losing the leatherman :wink:

One thing I've noticed through the years with us catters..........we'll do just about anything to catch some fish :smile2: