My 4th is tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well, i tried to tone it down some this year. a couple of years ago we had some invitees ask if they could invite some friends (people my wife worked with) and we agreed. we had almost 50 people here. half of them i didn't know. that half, for the most part, made no effort to greet the host when they got here, nor thank him when they left.

the wife and i agreed that we are not an entertainment facility. she cleaned and prepped for a couple of days. i cooked hotdogs and hamburgers for all. lots of condiments. lots of fireworks. kind of a pricy endeavor for a poor boy like me.

for several years we have done this. i trade labor on vehicle repairs from time to time with my neighbor (a fireworks distributor) for jobber price on fireworks. we usually have 800 to 1600 bucks retail in fireworks. i spend 2 to 3 hours setting that stuff off, and lose the chance to visit with my friends, family, and guests because of it.

this year we have about 1.3k in "works". i let everyone know if they wanted little stuff or kid stuff to bring it...i am only doing bigger items so i can have time to relax and visit. the better half and i also agreed that we would cut down on the crowd and "secondary" invitations......:smile2:

so now, with 24hrs left before the get-together, we only have 40 people coming:confused2:

i have 1300$ in works and i only have 18 items:eek:oooh:
    we hope it will be a short and good show....i figure if i take a chardonnay break i can do them in 1 to 1.5 hrs:wink:

any of you that want to come are welcome!:big_smile:
    food at sevenish, and works starting at 9:30 or 10:big_smile:

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Phil, I know what you mean. Usually works out for the same folks to do all the work every year. We've done the same thing, only smaller. We' re down to the kids, my 80 yr old parents, and some older neighbors down the road whose kids are in other states. I' enjoy the big gatherings and visiting with all the people, but I don't want to do the work anymore. Enjoy your holiday.

Don't mean to change the topic of your post, but I fish in the Red River down here. I think we are about to take some of your water off your hands. The sheriff has warned everybody about the current and closed boat landings in some areas. We had reports of 17mph current. That's messing up my fishing. I fished about 10 days ago and current was pretty swift then. The fishing could be pretty good, but all my shad catching places are hard to get to. Again, happy Fourth.

Sam

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    if you do opt to come, here's is the pic of the drive - you'll know you're at the right house:wink:

Attached Files:

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I hope you have a good time.I hope you don't get any rain too.