My 200 Gallon Bait Tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Lignum, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I found this water tank and decided to put it to use in my basement, as you can see. I read a lot on this site before I set this up and to what I read, works perfectly. I have a 6" pvc pipe in the tank filled with lava rock for the biological filtration, the pump sits in the top of the pipe, sucks the water from the bottom of the tank, through the lava rock, through the pump, to a 3 gallon bucket hanging over the tank. In the bucket I have 3" of carbon, some bio sponge filter. The bottom of the bucket has a ton of holes for the water to dispel out creating the aeration needed.

Attached Files:

2. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    I like it i like it:roll_eyes:

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That looks great, glad its workin out for ya!

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's awesome. What did this setup cost you?

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben thanks for sharing your bait tank set up. Looks good and you have put a lot of postive thought into it. Nice.

7. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The only money I have invested in it is the carbon, a bag of lava rock from wayy world, and the pond chemicals to get rid of the chlorine. Everything else I had, or found. My father found that pvc pipe as a left over from a construction job that they were going to throw away. The sponge filter is actually buffer pads from a floor buffer from work. They got rid of the buffer, and had a few pads left over, and they gave them to me. :wink:

8. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Sweet set up dude :wink:

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Those lava rocks would work better if they were out of the water. It looks like a nice place for the pump but the bacteria you want need air to live.

10. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I thought of that when I was researching homemade filters, and every one of the pond style filters had the lave rocks submerged, with the pump pulling water through/past the rock. They stated that the lave rock is very porous and will allow the bacteria a place to grow.

The base of the pipe has a grate allowing the water to flow in, without allowing any fish to get sucked up into the pipe.

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats a nice looking tank....my wife would have beat my @$$ if i had ever did something like that in our basement :cool2:

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Cool setup and plenty of room for surely having bait on hand.
    Nice Job.

13. Kitty Catcher

Kitty Catcher New Member

State:
    GA
    If it's free. Great! If it works even better. Nice job. I used the old style hair curlers to act as bio balls in the filter bucket under the poly filter pad but you could throw some lava rock in there for a little extra aeration and bacteria cultivation.
    What kind of bait do you have in the tank?