My 1978 Monark 1644P project.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by KyKatfish, Oct 26, 2009.

1. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    Hey guys Im new here but some of the guys Ive met told me I should Post pics of my project boat. I picked it up the first of this month and right now Im waiting on my easypoxy to get here to start my paint work.

I paid $600 bucks for her and got to hear the motor run and shift sat hein the lake for a few hours with no leaks so things are promising.

All of the decking had to come out! It was rotten and water logged! After paint Ill be doing 2 part Foam for flotation.

Here are some of the first pics!

Attached Files:

2. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    I am getting closer to putting on the Easy-poxy. Here are some more progress pics.

Attached Files:

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    $600.00 BUCKS you dident get heart at all on that price she will make you a good kitty catcher keep us posted on the project i got a project going myself will take me all winter to geter done good luck

4. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looks like it will be a nice boat and has come a long way already. Welcome to the BOC and keep us up-dated. I'm always interested in projects like yours. Never know when it will come in handy later on down the line.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott you got a good buy on that boat. The motor is probably worth the cost you paid. The project seems to be moving along well. Keep us post on the results. You will like that boat.

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Scott welcome to the B.O.C. from N.C. looks like you got yourself a deal on the boat,keep us posted on your mods to it ,take your time an fix it the way you think you want it :wink::big_smile:

7. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    good deal, were are you in ky.. i am 30 miles from lexington. we will have to go fishing:big_smile:

8. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i wouldn't recomend that two part foam . you would be better off using the pink styrofoam. its cheaper and won't get water logged like the 2 part will and its a lot easier to remove down the road

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Scott
    You got a heck of a deal on the rig man. Congrats on such a good find. Keep us posted on the mods. man!! I can't wait to see the finished project.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome and she'll make a fine boat when it's done. How bigs that rude on it? It this paint 2 part, i never heard of it? All i ever used was 2 part.Good luck with it.

11. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    Thanks To everyone!
    Im just outside Ashland Ky. Im going to get it done before spring which shouldnt be too hard. Theres a site Im a member of called tinboat.net thats all about aluminum jon boats and modifications. I actually heard about this site from that site.

Scott

12. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    good luck with the repairs, I mean ( up dates ) sounds better, catch a big one than let it go!:big_smile:

13. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    Ill definately CPR!! I dont like our natural resources being wasted.
    Ill keep up with the updates!

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Flotation foam is made not to absorb water.

15. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    I agree its a closed cell foam and for the money Ill be investing in the boat the additional cost semes worth it

16. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    You will realy like that boat my stepfather has one and they are realy good boats. The only complaint i would have on the boat is the splashwell where the motor mounts are weak i would recomend sturding it up some. They realy are great boats though.

17. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    That is true if the foam is not walked on or doesn't fill drain crimps on the bottom of the hull. This breaks the seal of the foam and absorbs water rather quickly and will cause a reaction with the aluminum and cause pitting. The pink or blue styrofoam will not absorb water but can be slightly affected by fuel. Do yourself a favor and scrap the 2 part closed cell flotation foam, you'll be money ahead.

This photo in the link, http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/illinois_angler/SIMG0155.jpg shows how the invincible 2 part closed cell flotation foam absorbs water. You can see at the top left of the foam where it is darker in color where the water absorption took place. Although it doesn't look like a big deal, when compared to a piece that isn't water logged, it is much heavier. Just imagine if this happens to all of the foam underneath the floor. This foam came out of a 2006 Lowe Roughneck from the pod seat that wasn't 2 years old at the time of removal.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  18. KyKatfish

KyKatfish New Member

State:
    Summit, Ky
    I will go with the blue or pink. I was going to use Aluminum flashing to keep the foam from filling the crimps to allow it to drain.

19. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Better than my first boat LDJ:smile2::smile2:

20. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Epoxy paint is great for bonding to a surface and its corrosion fighting characteristics..the problem with epoxy is it dosn't have good uv protection..in other words the sun will chalk most epoxies out in a year or so..I have painted a few jons and have used a 2 part industrial urethane like rustoleum 9400 series..The urethane does a great job and will fight chalking for years..