my 14 foot flat bottom jon boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by fishnohio, Jul 14, 2008.

1. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i purchased this boat about 2 months ago and finally got started on it 3 weeks ago or so, my first intentions was to just throw it in the back of my truck and drag it out of the back of the truck at the river and throw it in and put on the trolling motor where i fish for flatheads here in southwestern Ohio, but as it progressed it has just became to darn heavy(it can be done but not easily). I have about 850 dollars in the whole setup, the first thing i did was sand and paint the inside and outside and then i ran all the wiring for all the lights and bilge pump, fish finder etc....and ran all wires under the plywood floor to the control box on the transom, then i cut 1/2 inch plywood floors and 1x4 braces spaced every 12 inches and i gave them 2 coats of paint also all edges included and then screwed them all together and then screwed them to the boat ribs. there are 2 reasons why i put the wood floors in the first one was for safety, i didn't want to be fishing at night and trip over a floor rib and break my neck and the second was to help deaden sound as not to spook mister whiskers. I then went to a boat salvage yard and picked up a nice used bow and stern light for 20 bucks and then i purchased a lowrance fishfinder off craigslist for 45 dollars, and i bought a 4 switch panel to run all the accessories,and a battery tray for 5 dollars and 4 pole holders at bass pro shops. i also purchased 2 seat mounts at wally world for 12 dollars a piece and i found 2 brand new seats on craigslist for 15 dollars for the set, and also a 40 lb thrust 36 inch shaft minkota riptide saltwater edition trolling motor for 100 dollars also off of craigslist and it even came with a spare prop new in the package. well when it came time to mount the trolling motor i found that the shaft was way too long, so i had to perform a operation on it and now i am the proud owner of a 27 inch shaft minkota, yes i cut 9 inches out of the shaft and it works perfect, also the 4 l.e.d touch lights came from wally world and all 4 only cost 5 bucks, the boat turned out awesome, OH i forgot to mention i found this super clean 8 hp 1983 mariner for 300 dollars and i snatched it up and it moves the boat at about 12 to 15 mph with me and my 21 years old son on it.....Mike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Very Nice Job!!!!!Have to hire you to rewire my pontoon!!!!Have a great fishing year!!!

3. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is one fine job you have done there, thanks for sharing.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Mike... great job. As a suggestion, you may want to relocate the fire extinguisher. If there is a fire, it's normally around the motor or the fuel tank. You may not be able to get to the fire extinguisher in its present location. Move it amidships or on the bow... think it would be safer.

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    way cool!!! i am currently workin on my own jon boat

6. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    What kind of paint did you use? My neighbor just gave me a 14' jon, I have a 15hp to go on it. wil probably build a trailer for it as I aint liftin it...Yours looks really nice. Good Job. Mac :wink:

7. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    You did a great job. that is definitely a project to be proud of. now it's time to get it all slimy :smile2:

8. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    the paint i used is rustolium smoke grey industrial oil based enamel from lowes, i skuffed the old paint with a red scotch brite pad first and then rolled on 2 coats of paint on the outside and inside and i used a pencil roller from lowes with a cloth roller cover, do not use the sponge cover as it will not cover as well.................Mike

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Looks good bro,job well done!!

10. 23mako

23mako New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have the EXACT same jon boat

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a quality project, congrats

12. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Nice job, like the interior lighting. You shouldn't have any problems seeing inside the boat at night.

13. 23mako

23mako New Member

State:
    north carolina
    How does it run with just you in the boat?

14. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    very clean.. good job

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good job. I like it.

16. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i have never ran it with just me in it, but myself and my son took it out to the river to test it out and i weigh 255 lbs and my son another 200 and it runs about 15 mph according to a gentleman in the boat next to us who was giving me a idea of the speed from the speedo in his boat............Mike

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Thats one bad boat there Mike. Good job. How wide is that sucker and how tall is the transom?

18. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    it is a 1432 the floor width is 32 inched wide and the transom is 15 inches, i took it out to the river last night and got some slime in it i caught 2 channel cats and my first ever walleye, it was 19 1/2 inches long and weighed 2 1/4 pounds...............................Mike

19. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Mike that is a great job you did on that boat. I really like the lighting you did in the bench seats. Now just go out and get the big ones.

Tom

20. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i just ground all the paint off the bottom underside of mine

primered it and rolled on bedliner, will see how it works few trips, a few places it dont seem like that bedliner stuck too well!!