My $100.00 boat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Ecfool, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Just picked up a boat, paid $100.00 for boat,trailer and all the gear including skies. Only problem is the forward gear does not hold, just kinda ratchets and can hear dogs slipping. It also has the skeg busted off from previous owner hitting a non-movable object at WOT, he said this is when lower unit failed as well. The power head runs great it has 122, 125 &125 lbs compression on cylinders so I think it is in good shape. The previous owner just had carbs rebuilt.
    Also need info on motor if possible it is a 85 HP Force Model 856L8A serial 1092. Any clue about year and are these motors anygood?
    First thing I need is get a manual for it. Fix lower unit, water pump, replace all fuel hoses, new fuel tank (old one appears to have creeping crud in it) and replace carpet in floor. Upholstery I aint to worried about right now due to may change seating arraingement anyway.

Attached Files:

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You got a good deal there.

3. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    FYI I plan on trying to do most the repairs myself due to being a reallly cheap ole guy.
    Is it posible to add a power trim unit on this motor? The control has a trim button on the handle.
    I was eyeballing the lower unit and am trying to see how to get it apart but decided to take wifes advice an wait till I get manual for it.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Hes going to miss that when he figures out you stole it. LOL Keep us posted. Got a good deal there for sure.

5. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    OK located year its 1988 but not happy when looking for parts for this , seems Force is a morphidite bastard engine man do I love a challange. May have to sit n look at craigs list or Ebay for lower unit as I think it may have bad gears and I cant seem to find anyplace that sells lower unit parts cept for seal kits.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm no mechanic but it may have just knocked the linkage out of wack. I too would get a book, but dropping that lower unit isn't that big of a job. Good lookin hull, real good for 100 bux.

7. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Well against my wifes better judgement (she shouldnt have gone to work with me itching to work on this mess) I went ahead and pulld the lower unit off. When I went to drain it i only got about 1/4 cup of nasty, milky, foul smelling fluid ( it used to be lower unit lube I think) out of lower unit. Water pump impeller was no more than a center section all the fins were in the water outlet ( I did account for all piecies so none in power head yet). But when I removed to lower top cover the upper bearing on the input shaft is a nice shade of black definately a sign of no lube. For the life of me the input shaft will not come out of housing it moves about 3/16" and gets tight.
    Help whats next? How do I get the gear case apart? Curiosity has the better of me and I allready figured I need a whole lower unit anyway just wanna see how bad it really is in there. ohh yeah FYI the upper seal was as hard as a rock more like metal than rubber so it did get some water in gear case.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats! Nice find. Should make ya a real nice rig. You said he hit an immovable object at WOT and thats what caused the lower unit damage? Be sure to look the transom over real good inside and out for any cracking, hitting something that hard means something structurally could be damaged. Better to find and fix now, than later. Good luck with your new toy.

9. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Well have located several lower units for this engine but dont really want to spend $750.00 .
    Any one have any ideas where I could find a lower unit. I have checked ebay and cragis list even contemplating several complete boats in southern California area with same engie for about $500.00 may need extra parts anyway. Any comments?

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've never been a big fan of Force engines. I'd find a good used Johnson, Evinrude, Yamaha, or Mercury and put on her. Times are tight and you can find a complete used engine for what you could fix that one for. You certainly got a STEAL of a deal on the boat and trailer! Keep us posted.

Bill in SC

11. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    I have considered that option as well and can hopefull list this boat anchor, oops meant power head on ebay or Craigs list to recoup some of my cost on another engine.
    But knwoing how slightly pissed off the wife is over me dragging this boat home kinda sorta with out letting her know about the magic disappering money hole in the water. I may have to try for now to find / repair the motor I have. I can just hear wife now if I drag another boat over to house for parts, bad enough I booted her car to street parking so I could put my "gem" in drive way.
    I have ordered a manual for the engine so I can get the old lower unit apart and hopefull after looking at it can repair it to work at least for this season. I also may have located a lower unit which is really damaged on the upper portion (looks like it may have had boat backed into something or was rear ended while boat was on trailer) but appears to have good lower gears and bearings for $150.00 If I can get my unit apart I can hopefully swap over parts. Allready have a friend whom will reweld broken skeg back on for me for a 12 pack of Pepsi. But I cant get the input shaft to come out of the housing.
    I was hoping that this Force being the Black units was one of the Mercury built ones but guess not, it seems to be morphidite Chrysler/Mercury bastard cross.

12. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    wow what a deal, that looks like itll make a nice rig.we bought our boat and now we are revamping the whole thing. good luck

13. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    please explain what your calling the "input" shaft is it the driveshaft or the propshaft?

14. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    you the man bill i luv my yamaha !! never failed me yet :wink:

15. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    man o man some fellows just got all the luck.. GREAT buy or lucky steal hoping you got the title for boat an trailor(ha ha) my hats off to you !! good luck on that boat brother.. man when that ole boy that sold you that boat sobbers up he's gonig to sick!!l. LOL

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now that was a good buy but if you didn't know the seller then why in this world did he sell you a force with it also.:smile2: Now after working on several engines in my life time I would recommend that you take that engine off and drag it to the nearest ditch and roll her into it. Find you a good engine except fitch,force, Chrysler,